• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash warpage repair kit contents

gooserex

CEG'er
I'm curious if anyone knows what the parts manifest should be for the dash warpage repair kit and if anyone has part numbers for the manifest, I recently purchased the kit from Ford and it came in a large 2"x10"x6' box which contained 1 bag of 15 small rivets, 1 bag of 8 large rivets and 1 bag containing a new defroster venting, defrost vent cover and a 6' long piece of edge trim molding and that is all it came with.

Now, the Attachment III documentation for dash warpage recall calls for the use of U-Clips and Retainers during the installation of the vent and vent cover, and according to the text in the documentation the parts should be included in the kit, problem is when I went back to the Ford dealer they couldn't verify whether or not the parts should have been in the kit and what the part numbers for the U clips and retainers were.

Notes from the documentation...

"Install the U-clips as follows (see Figure 9):
• Obtain the necessary U-clips from the repair kit. Using segmented U-clips, bend them
slightly to match the curve of the defroster duct opening. Installing U-clips in the outermost
defroster duct openings, make sure to install them flush against the opening support as
indicated in View A."

"20. Install one (1) retainer clip into each of the three (3) defroster duct opening supports with holes.
See Figure 12."

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated; I don't want to revisit this warpage again and really don't want to proceed with the install without these clips.

Bump, there has got to be somebody with an idea. I also heard back from the dealer who had heard back from internally to Ford and the response was I'm SOL as far as their concerned, because it's such an old kit they can't comment on why it make not have the missing parts and they don't have part numbers for the parts... Gee thanks Ford.

See if they will take it back, or order another since it's incomplete. Maybe try www.teamfordparts.com.

I PM'ed Bill J to see if he can help shed some light on the part numbers and he said he's going to see what he can drum up (Thanks again). I really would like to install the kit so I would prefer to find the parts, now if I can get some part numbers I will have to convince the dealer to just give them to me because the ford installation manual says they are part of the kit... Hopefully I can get it cuz my warped dash looks AWFUL and seriously affects the defroster and leaves me with ZERO defrosting ability in the center of the windshield.

Bill seems to be a square dealer, if you got it from him then I think he'll make it right.

Yes, there are some U clips missing and it sounds like there may be some clips missing for the new defroster vent. It does have some tabs on it that fit into clips on the supports with holes in them. The large pop's are to secure the new large metal defroster vent cover, cover.

I just replaced my dash with one that I found at the JY with the kit already on it. Well it didn't have the metal vent cover cover on it. I found a dash with that just two cars down the row :laugh: However I found there were several places on that dash that the pad was loose. I got some spray glue (3M) for plastic and took my heat gun and a bunch of clamps to it. I used the heat gun to soften it up and then pushed it back into shape and lightly clamped the sections. After it had cooled I then carefully lifted the loose pieces and sprayed the glue around doing two coats. Then I clamped the sections in place for 24 hrs at least. Once this was done and all the loose areas were in place I just set it around for a week, in the sun, to see if the fix I did would work and it appeared to hold. Last weekend I installed it in the car. I never did install the metal vent cover cover, and won't unless the warp starts to show signs. I did paint it to more closely match the dash pad just in case.

Since parts of the kit were already installed on the dash I don't know if or how bad it was to start with, but the areas the instructions tell you to use the small pop's was all loose. In fact most of it was loose except where the kit pieces were installed. Which was by the way, the front U strip, the U clips inside the defroster vent, defroster cover, and the small pop's.

When you plan on doing the install allow about 4hrs, and I suggest removing the steering column and front seats. Some folks say you don't need to but it makes things a lot easier.

Good luck,
my 2 cents,
AF

there are supposed to be some metal clippes designed to hold down the dash material that has curled up from the vent.
the clips slip over the material and clip onto the edge of the vent opening.
it helps to hold the material down so the new vent will fit properly.

and the small rivets are to help hold the material in place around the guage surround

there are supposed to be some metal clippes designed to hold down the dash material that has curled up from the vent.

and the small rivets are to help hold the material in place around the guage surround

Yup, those are the clips I'm missing, and NEED due to how bad my dash is warped, it's warped up to about 3"-4" high. And of course, the dealership (COUGH DIXIE FORD COUGH) has dropped the ball completely.

And at the sides of the glove box too.

Just an FYI, you may find the info in my post This weekend in the Northwest forum of interest. Dash warp info and pics.

Regards,
AF

Back