• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What are the best plug wires

amsra

New CEG'er
I had a new set of Motorcraft plug wires put on my 96 Zetec ATX when I bought the car a year ago with 120K miles. Since then the #4 plug wire has found its way off the plug 5 times. Is there a better set of plug wires to use that will stay on the plug? Is there something other than vibration that could be causing the boot to rise? This car runs great on 4 cylinders, but not so well on 3.

Last edited:
Have the wires been replaced? If not, grab some Ford racing wires for your ride. The price is about the same to get stock, I believe.

You might check the metal retainer in the boot that clips onto the terminal of the spark plug. If it's bent, it may not have a good grip on the plug, and could be backing off over time. If this is the case, you're wires are fine, and you'll have a quick fix.

definately stick with motorcraft/stock, whether the stock or racing versions. if you get spark plug wires that cannot handle the current/spark from the coil it can cause the coil to overheat and is the most common cause of coil failure. meaning new inferior aftermarket wires or old plug wires that are worn out and failing.

What is the part number for the Ford Racing Wires? I see two different wires listed for Zetecs; one for the ZX2 and one for the ZX3. I assume one of these will work with my '96.

I prefer the Bosch 8mm wires they work really good and when ever I get an oil change I go to autozone for the supplies and swap out the wires under warranty so they're always fresh.

What is the part number for the Ford Racing Wires? I see two different wires listed for Zetecs; one for the ZX2 and one for the ZX3. I assume one of these will work with my '96.
General rule of thumb: If you have the clips on top of the boots going to the coil you will need the ZX2 wires. If you just have a 90 degree boot then you need the ZX3.

Back