• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cam/Lifter noise?

kirev

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hey All,

First off, thanks for all the good info here. I have a '98 GL Zetec MTX. I bought it new, it now has a bit under 86k on the clock. Over the last 6 months or so I have noticed something a bit odd. Once in a while, if I let the car sit for a while, even a few days, when I start it I hear a tapping that is consistent with engine RPM. The tick/tap lasts for probably 5 seconds and then goes away. Also, when it is a bit colder (5 to -10 deg) I notice that I have a very subtle tick that is again consistent with RPM. the noise goes away when the engine is warmed up, and I never hear it when I drive regularly in normal weather. It sounds like it is cam/lifter related to me, but I am looking for ideas. The noise on startup is very noticable, but goes away quickly and only rarely happens. The cold weather tick is much more subtle, but since I know the car well I notice it.

Any ideas? I am thinking it is a sticky lifter, possibly. I was worried about a cam lobe going flat (I owned 2 2.3l based fords that both developed this when they got around 100k), but since the sound goes away completely and does not happen under normal conditions it doesn't seem to fit. As I said, it is a 9 yr old w/ 86k on it, but I would like it to last...well forever if possible!!

Thanks for any input,
Kirev

it sounds like its probably just a little lifter noise. what i think is happening is that when you let it sit for a while the oil drains into the pan and there is very little oil left on the lifters and cams. the noise then goes away shortly after you start it cause you now have oil on them. the very subtle on might be the same thing but it could also be the injectors which is completly normal.

Striker2,

Yeah, it is a bit odd, because it seems that it is only 1 of the lifters, not all of them. It sounds like it is not something to worry about. It is about due for an oil change so I drained it down a 1/2 quart and put some Rislone in it for the last few hundred miles, we will see if there is maybe some gunk making a lifter sticky or making it drain. Other than that noise, the engine is rock solid and tight w/ 86k on it!!

Thanks,
Kirev

I have a lifter knock on the cylinder closest to the serpentine belt. It is actually rather loud in the cold, but once its warm it goes away. So far it has had absolutely no adverse effects on the performance of my engine :shrug: . Well as far as I can tell anyways :cool:

try using a motorcraft filter if you are not already, they have an anti-drainback valve in the filter making sure you have consistent oil flow/pressure from cold start up. many aftermarket filters do not have them.

Back