• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine blown

adam42481

CEG'er
i have a 97 ford contour with a 2.0l auto. and about 4 weeks ago the timming belt slipped causing problems. my question is i have found 99 contour motor at a local junk yard are these two interchangable. if so what parts do i need to swap to my engine. thanks

the 99 engine has VCT (Variable Cam Timing) your 97 does not. also the early engines (95-97) are a much stronger engine IMO. if you can find a pre98 engine it will be the easiest to swap. 96-97 engines will both drop in with no problems, 95s will need some sensors changed. 98+ engines will need either a PCM to control the VCT or a VCT delete.

first of all your motors not blow..

zetecs are non interference, meaning anything you do those pistons will not come in contact with the valves... who told you it was blown? A mechanic?

well from what i was told all zetec motors were interference. the mechanic wasnt sure if the motor was interference or not. he put a new belt on it and got it in time and said that the 2 cycl had 30psi compression and the other had none. please advise me on what to have him do. did he not get the engine in time? causing the valves to be open. the car was running fine before all of this happened. the engine has approximately 125k. and the oil has been changed regularly. if the belt had slipped would this harm the valves?

i sure hope so!! would the valves hit the top of the cyclinders if the belt had slipped. it seemed pretty lose before all of this happened. could you direct me to the post about how to get the car in time and replace the belt. thanks so much.

well from what i was told all zetec motors were interference. the mechanic wasnt sure if the motor was interference or not. he put a new belt on it and got it in time and said that the 2 cycl had 30psi compression and the other had none. please advise me on what to have him do. did he not get the engine in time? causing the valves to be open. the car was running fine before all of this happened. the engine has approximately 125k. and the oil has been changed regularly. if the belt had slipped would this harm the valves?

Yeah seems like some mechanics are confused when it comes to the zetec. My timing belt snapped during the spring and I was told that their would likely be damage to the motor. Turns out there was none and once the belt was replaced the engine runs just as good if not better than before.

yeah sure seems that way. i dont think he has it in time. is there a way i can verify his timing.

Talked with another mechanic, and he says that eventhough the engine isnt a zero clearance engine. that if the top of the pistons had carbon on them it could hit the valves and bend them. is this a true. the car is used for daily comutting 120 miles on the interstate and i have run quit a few cans of fuel system cleaner through it. any more ideas

120 miles daily highway commutes with little traffic? if so than you probably have little to no carbon buildup and should be fine.

Talked with another mechanic, and he says that eventhough the engine isnt a zero clearance engine. that if the top of the pistons had carbon on them it could hit the valves and bend them. is this a true. the car is used for daily comutting 120 miles on the interstate and i have run quit a few cans of fuel system cleaner through it. any more ideas

I'd say you are likely 90% in the good. Seems like a lot of mechanics are confused about these engines.

Your engine is just fine

Your engine is just fine

I 'blew' my cam belt on my zetec at 85 mph and did NOT damage the engine at all. As others have suggested, do not trust that mechanic. The engine in NON interference, that means that the valves cannot hit each other or the pistons.

Of course your compression will be off if the timing is not done properly and it is easy to mess up the timing.

All that your require is a new belt, tensioners and idlers and buy a cheap cam timing tool kit on the internet and you will be in fat city for MUCH MUCH less than an engine replacement. Putting an engine from a different year pretty much begs for continous CEL and greif.

Andres

Not to mention changing the engine is complete overkill when you only have blown your timing belt.

Not sure what mileage you got on that there car, though you might want to consider changing the water pump while your in there.

this is the second engine in the car, it has approximately 125k. not sure why the first on was replaced, probably due to lack of knowledge about these engines. the car has a 165k on it. im going to take it to another place to get timed. im not going to tell them that the belt broke just that i was replacing it and couldnt get it in time. that way they are not biased. thanks

Back