• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

recommended oil filter for 2.5

97vulcan

CEG'er
I did a search, and couldn't find anything. What is the best oil filter to use on our cars. BTW mine has 134k and makes a grinding noise upon startup for about 3 seconds.

Thanks,
Adam

Motorcraft FL-820S, end of story. I won't use anything else on mine.

As for your brief noise at startup, sounds like the starter may be dragging on the flywheel just for a moment. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the quick replies. Is $10 a little much for the Motorcraft FL-820S? Where can I find these filters? Wal-Mart?

Thanks,
Adam

$10 seems way high. In my area, local AutoZone/Advance Auto Parts/Pep Boys generally carry the correct Motorcraft size. About $5.

My Contour has had a Motorcraft filter since day 1. Nothing else.

I agree -- I want to say AutoZone is getting like $4.80 for one -- very reasonable. I stay away from Wal-Mart for my own reasons -- I can't stand them, and I don't like their impact on small business. I have a locally owned parts store that I try to use when I can, but I digress. Stay under $5 for the filter, and you're fine.

PureOne ($5) by Purolator. IIRC, it has the same internals as the Motorcraft.

I have only changed the oil once in my svt since I bought it but I put on a mobil 1 extended performance filter and I know its a lot of money, its got the anti drain back feature which isn't supposed to let all the oil drain down to the pan. Is this just a gimmick or does it have any real advantage over other filters?

I stay away from Walmart and ESPECIALLY from Walmart Motorcraft filters, I've heard they aren't the same Motorcraft filters you buy at Auto parts stores. I know the real Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator (Pure one) and I've HEARD that the walmart ones are made by Fram. This is what I've read on plenty of other forums but I don't have any personal experience with the Walmart ones as I stay away from there anyhow.

I have only changed the oil once in my svt since I bought it but I put on a mobil 1 extended performance filter and I know its a lot of money, its got the anti drain back feature which isn't supposed to let all the oil drain down to the pan. Is this just a gimmick or does it have any real advantage over other filters?

That could be, I haven't tried those yet. I know they are recommended if you are already using synthetic oil.

Motorcraft or K&N

Q. why would motorcraft waste time producing two different filters of the exact same model number, and only ship one style to walmart. That would just be an inventory tracking nightmare in my mind.

I stay away from Walmart and ESPECIALLY from Walmart Motorcraft filters, I've heard they aren't the same Motorcraft filters you buy at Auto parts stores. I know the real Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator (Pure one) and I've HEARD that the walmart ones are made by Fram. This is what I've read on plenty of other forums but I don't have any personal experience with the Walmart ones as I stay away from there anyhow.

The Motorcraft filters I buy from Wal Mart are identical to the one I got from Ford dealers. For a while, Wal Mart carried Autolite filters, try to pass them off as a good substitute for Motorcraft. In some Wal Mart stores there was a sign with them saying "for your Motorcraft customers". Autolite is owned by the same company that owns Fram and they were relabeled Frams.

By the way, the tires sold by Wal Mart are identical to the ones sold by tire shops as long as the brand and model are the same.

Back