• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

gasket

RRT_SVT

CEG'er
i need to replace the heads and gasket of my hybrid , taurus 3.0 with contour svt heads wath gaskets i need? 2.5 or 3.0
the mechanic tell me that i need half set of gasket

buth the 3.0 don't have water pump on the battery side that not matter? i have installed the 2.5 heads i rember that the head gasket have diffrent shape

Last edited:
As stated above use the 3.0 gasket. If you use the 2.5 gasket it will be about .400 too small.

I have a set of new Motorcraft head gaskets for sale. $50 shipped for both of them.

On a less harsh note, an explanation of why you cannot use the 2.5 gaskets. The bore diameter of the 2.5 is smaller than the 3.0. Using a gasket ment for the smaller diamer cylinder will result in some of the gasket hanging into the combustion chamber. Some of the gasket sealing design is probably in that area where it will not result in the appropriate "crush" to seal properly. More importantly, the gasket material hanging into the combustion chamber will very quickly burn up.

As soon as you try to lay the 2.5 gasket onto the deck of a 3.0 block you would see the problem.

a year ago i installed the 2.5 head gasket in the 3.0 block that the reason now i need to install new ones (if i only ask before do that a year ago)

Back