• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear clunking sound when going over bumps

IDK, car rides soft, struts dont really bounce at all they level out. Sounds like the seat belt in the rear is locking up (as if I am slamming on the brakes)
That would be a different sound from what I'm hearing. Mine sounds like someone hitting the top of the wheel well with a wooden club. I think it's coming from the mount, but I've been paying more attention to the ride and can feel that my struts are also worn.

I'm having the same problem - have had the noise since I got the car last fall. I'll check everyone's suggestions tomorrow morning and post back sometime next week if I find the problem.

have u guys checked the sway bar endlinks? that will make clunks when stopping or accelerating. And its a cheap easy fix.

I second this. Strut mounts can make ugly noises, too, but the endlinks are a more common failure, and an easier fix. I'd get a new set of sway bar bushings while I was at it, too.

Firstly, the strut is held to the upper strut mount by a single nut. The upper strut mount is held to the chassis by 2 10mm (head) bolts. Getting the assembly out is a PITA.

However, I've had more than 10 yrs. of experience with these cars and I can tell you you're looking in the wrong place. CHECK THE SWAY BAR FIRST! There are rubber bushings that mate the end links to the main control arm (which fail early and often), sway bar bracket bushings (don't fail as much, but the brackets often do) and the end links have little rubber bushings molded around a metal inner sleeve which bolts up to the sway bar (they go often too). And while you're under the car check the sway bar bracket "sockets" which are poorly welded to the subframe. I've seen them fail (twisted and/or torn) with stock 18mm sway bars. Then when you add a bigger aftermarket bar, you've guaranteed that they'll be destoyed.

After you've checked this stuff, repost and we'll see.

I got a set of rear sway bar endlinks, and well after 131k miles they are defintly not how they used to be haha. I got the 2 endlinks from ford for $38, although they dont have the bushings that go into the lower control arm, mine are pretty well gone also, but I left them in there for now.
The bushings both fell out of the end links when I took the bolt out, the car stopped clunking and now the body roll has defintly been decreased, and almost is non existent compared to how it was.

Does anyone reccomend a place to get the bushings that the end links bolt through the lower control arms? I found them for $20, but doesnt seem worth the $20.

5451103-1.jpg

I've had a clunk from the rear since I bought the car. Today I noticed the passenger rear strut is covered in oil. That could be the cause of my noise. Maybe.:laugh:

P.S. Anyone want to show a picture of what the're talking about with the end links and such?
While the car is sitting on the ground, try to move that piece where the arrow is pointing from side to side. You cannot jack up one wheel either, its either both rear wheels in the air or on the ground.
0900823d801bd59f.gif

bringing this thread back to life because it came up when i googled my problem.

got a rattle over any bump on pass/rear. replaced sway bar end links today cuz they looked shot and deff were and didnt fix it. pass side sway bar to frame mount is broke off on one side and half way torn on the other. i also have those bushings on the way. other side mount to frame looks ok. any suggestions on fixing that mount????? reinforced by welding? iv seen aftermarket U braces.

can anyone elaborate on the struts and strut mounts causing this annoying noise?

Back