• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

sti turbo for svt?

mattsBLK99cSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
my friend has a sti and hes getting a turbo upgrade from aps, he's giving me his old turbo and we want to know if it will work with my car? I know that you need to do more work than just "slap on a turbo"

Well, Im not sure how different the STI turbo is from the WRX turbo, but WRX is undersized for sure for this motor. Im not sure what your power goals are either though. A person just posted a couple months ago about pulling an wrx turbo off and putting it on his contour and asked exactly what your asking now and has been answered in this thread.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=257

Theres even a sticky in the old forums of the forced induction branch of exactly whats included in the ADC kit, so that should give you a good idea of what you need. The group buy thread currently giong on right now about Burrita's and Warmongers turbo kit should give you an idea as well.

wrx motors displacement is 2.0 litres a sti's is 2.5

Unfortunately for you, with the level of gearheads around here this displacement info should be fairly common knowledge. What is need are the specs on the flow characteristics of the turbo itself, not the engine it is coming off of. There are too many other things to consider to just think of it in this manner. If you can find more specific specs on the turbo or even a compressor map you should be able to answer the question with a good copy of Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" or by posting them here.

Then put down the turbo and pick up a book.

potkettleblack.gif

the STI vf39 won't work without a custom uppipe...the flange has a unique triangular shape...then again with enough time and money anything could work...but if i were you and you wanted to use an STI turbo, sell his and use the money for a vf22 or vf34 b/c 39's have a tendency to crack...if you want something larger look-up 18g's

Stock Sti turbo is a bit too small in my opinion. My roommate has an STi. He said that the turbo would spool insanely quickly and run out of it's efficiency range before you were halfway through the rpms. I say go with a 20g. A little lag but you can make decent power through most of the rpm range.

I say go with a 20g. A little lag but you can make decent power through most of the rpm range.
Decent power! :D A basic 20G (-1A) pushes ~650cfm (50lb/min) at 1 bar. That is roughly equal to a T3/4 60-1 .82 (large) (48lb/min) which is the recommended turbo for a 3L engine and can support over 400 wheels.

If you want to run a Mitsu turbo on the 2.5L try the (small wheel) TD05H-16G. (~520cfm-39lb/min) It would be a very good match with a nice fat surge area. However since the prices on the T3/4's have come down and the Mitsu's gone up they are not the great bargain they once were years ago. You might find a good used unit on a DSM site though...

Last edited:
Oops thanks for correcting me DS.:crazy: I thought we were talking about a 3 liter when I made the post. You're right a Mitsu turbo would probly do the trick. Your best bet would be to log onto a DSM forum and try to locate a turbo through there otherwise, like DS said prices are high and trusting anything off of ebay is iffy. My roommate has an eclipse spent a ****load on an ebay turbo that he has to turn around a pay a ****load more to be rebuilt.

Back