• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

blown engine??? plz help me!

RedFire98

CEG'er
ok so today i go to work like normal.. had to get a few things so off to the homedepot like normal.. 15 mins later i go to leave and whatta ya know? the engine is knocking like a bastard.. i checked oil level, its normal so i had to limp it home the five miles.. check engine light came on the last minute of the drive.. guys i need advice big time she is my dd. should i just try to get ahold of aircougar?? should i start looking for a 3l??? i also have a guy with a running 2.5 that i could get for $400 locally.. i havnt looked into it yet cos im still at work but if someone could pm or call me that would be great, as i am freaking out.. what should i do?? sorry for my grammar but im on my cell.. -greg 508-298-2462

you can get a 3L for less than that. aircougar of course comes highly recommended. normally a knocking noise can also come from a bad alternator bearing, which i have had happen to me, but the fact that you got a CEL tells me the engine is done.

yea i havnt got a chance to run the cel but something tells me its not going to be good.. im having such a bad week...

the $400 would be for a full running 95 v6 mtx... 3L time or another 2.5?? does anyone have aircougars number? i need this car back running asap.. thanks guys

the $400 would be for a full running 95 v6 mtx... 3L time or another 2.5?? does anyone have aircougars number? i need this car back running asap.. thanks guys
Whoa whoa whoa don't just jump into things! For all you know the knocking could be a blown out spark plug! Check the code first and post it, THEN I'll give you Greg's number, lmao :laugh:

Whoa whoa whoa don't just jump into things! For all you know the knocking could be a blown out spark plug! Check the code first and post it, THEN I'll give you Greg's number, lmao :laugh:

yeah and you will be wasting your time with a 2.5L, dont even consider it!

sorry ive already mentally ruled out sparkplugs and a horrendous exhaust leak because of how bad it sounds.. lol i know it could be anything but i cant read the cel till after work.. it sounds awful

sorry ive already mentally ruled out sparkplugs and a horrendous exhaust leak because of how bad it sounds.. lol i know it could be anything but i cant read the cel till after work.. it sounds awful

Check the plugs! I had one blow out while driving to work one morning. I was 99.9% sure it was blown. 1 helicoil later I was back on the road, that was 2 years ago and it's still running strong *knock on wood*

It could have been the A/C compressor's clutch. After years of use on them they can fail the instant they kick on. When they do go bad they either just stop working or the clutch basically blows up and all the pieces grind each other inside the clutch's case. If that happens there's no way to run the engine without spinning the clutch as long as the drive belt is on.

To rule out a problem with one of the accessories just take the drive belt off and start the engine but keep your hand on the key so you can shut the engine off instantly if you still hear the sound.

It could have been the A/C compressor's clutch. After years of use on them they can fail the instant they kick on. When they do go bad they either just stop working or the clutch basically blows up and all the pieces grind each other inside the clutch's case. If that happens there's no way to run the engine without spinning the clutch as long as the drive belt is on.

To rule out a problem with one of the accessories just take the drive belt off and start the engine but keep your hand on the key so you can shut the engine off instantly if you still hear the sound.

hah i had to limp it about 5 miles home from where it originally happened:nonono: today i checked the code - p0430(cat inefficiency).. which isnt the problem like i was hoping for, but probably a direct reflection of the problem. took all the plugs out, they were good so i then checked all six wires for spark. all good. so the problem is pretty much out of my hands now.. i can try taking the belt off tomorrow but thats all i can think of. i did a screwdriver test and it def sounds like something in the firewall side head. my ex-mr.goodwrench friend and brother inlaw both say bent valve right off the bat from hearing it. i guess i trumped up the noise cos its not that bad, but its def not good. ok so now the next question, is it cheaper/smarter to rebuild the 2.5head(if thats whats wrong) or just drop in a 3.0 and say F-it????

since you can get a 3L for like 3 to $400 plus other needed things, ported will drop right in and run ... much cheaper and easier I would say.

do note that rod knock on these engines does often sounds like a top end noise.

since you can get a 3L for like 3 to $400 plus other needed things, ported will drop right in and run ... much cheaper and easier I would say.

do note that rod knock on these engines does often sounds like a top end noise.
this man speaks truth. The gasket and bolts for the head will run you alot more money than you might think. That gets you really close to 3l money right there. I also dont think you could bend the valves on one of these motors unless the timing chains broke, or both rod bearings got stacked from spining enough to give the piston the extra reach to get to the valves.

ugh so much to think about.. i def need the car prof. diagnosed at this point and i dont know if i trust anyone but you guys.. i gotta call greg tomorrow.. ill let u guys know.

you think you love your car now. Get a 3L and it will have a whole new meaning to you then!

Back