• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What exactly does detonation/pinging sound like?

SHOgoFast

Hard-core CEG'er
I figured that this would be an easy question to answer with some simple searches on the old forum and the general internet but I cannot seem to find a clear answer...or at least one that makes sence to me.

Is it so noticeable that someone who is paying attention to the sound of the engine would easily pick it up or do you really have to be "listening" for it?

I am confident that I have not had any pinging but want to learn more about what it sounds like and how to "listen" for it?

Links to previous threads or other websites, if available, are fine...im completly willing to read up on it myself.

Thanks.

yep...marbles hitting a can or something...then also one time I thought it resembled an reall tinny exhaust leak noise

well, i retract one of my previous statements, I have had some pinging then...not bad though. Time for a compression test.

The sound I am able to produce at certain levels of acceleration does not sound like a ping to me, more of a plastic clattering sound. A ticking would be more accurate of a description before pinging. Not metalic at all. Someone above mentioned sounding like a small exhaust leak, more of that tone than metallic, marbles, pinging.

One time we had a mustang at the shop that was pinging...kinda sounded like a loose heatshield clattering.

the loose heatshield is a close description, but not metallic, more like a plastic snapping sound and from the drivers seat it sounds like it is coming from inside the dash. Anyway, I did a compression test today. I have not had any knock sensor codes.

Results:

1: 230
2: 225
3: 225
4: 230
5: 227
6: 230

I believe those numbers to be rather good.

Ya those are good. Pinging isn't going to kill you the first time you hear it.

You could just be running hot, that is enough to cause it. Over time and prolonged pinging can begin to pit the piston domes and edges though.

Usually it is from running hot from these causes: high intake air temps, too much timing, too little fuel.

Back