• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Serpentine Belt

Con-Man

CEG'er
I have a 1995 GL my belt is making a screaming sound when you first start the car in the morning. The noise goes away after driving the car for awhile. I have done some research and have figure it is one of three things. The belt, Idler pulley or the Altenator. I have a donor tour that is a V6 what I would like to know is the Altenator and the idler pulley the same in the V6 and the Zetec? Of course I will start with the cheapest part first changing the belt but if that does not stop the noise I will continue to change parts next will be the Idler pulley then the altenator. If the altenator is the same I will take the alternator out of the V6 and get it rebuilt.

the alternator is not the same and im not positive but i cant imagine the idler is the same either.

before you replace the belt start the car and let it idle. take a flashlight and look down at the crankshaft pulley. see if it wobbles back and forth as it spins. if it does you more than likely have a broken keyway key on the crankshaft.

My advice is first to check for play/wobble in the pulleys. If you don't see any, go ahead and replace the belt and idler. Neither is terribly expensive. If your car has more than, say, 60k on the clock, do it anyway just as preventative maintenance. Chances are this will fix your problem and it won't be much more than $50.

I have a 1995 GL my belt is making a screaming sound when you first start the car in the morning. The noise goes away after driving the car for awhile. I have done some research and have figure it is one of three things. The belt, Idler pulley or the Altenator. I have a donor tour that is a V6 what I would like to know is the Altenator and the idler pulley the same in the V6 and the Zetec? Of course I will start with the cheapest part first changing the belt but if that does not stop the noise I will continue to change parts next will be the Idler pulley then the altenator. If the altenator is the same I will take the alternator out of the V6 and get it rebuilt.

if you change the belt and not the pulleys you've just wasted your time. Same if you ever change the timing belt. If your going to change the serp. belt change the pulleys while your at it.

Ask any mechanic if it's normal procedure to go replacing pulleys just because you're slapping a new serp belt on. A new idler pulley MAYBE, but not anything else. I'm a dealership tech and we check for play/misalignment, but never replace anything but the belt when it comes in for something like that.

Back