• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

zetec transmission and mount problems (please read)

Reed44

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I am new here and came here from mustangforums.com to look for help on a contour I just bought. Basically I got a 1998 contour and the guy said it just needed a new trasn mount. So I thought easy fix and by the time I got it home it was shifting hard and clunking when it would shift. I look underneath the car and see that the trans mount is not connected to the car and that a few bolts may be broke off into the transmission. I am trying to take the car back but its not working out. Also, the fuel line got so hot that it burnt a whole in the low pressure hardline on the a/c. I took the two clips off and could not figure out how to get the line off. Are these transmissions good? Do they usually have problems? It is shifting so hard that it churps the tires. Is that a sign that it needs replaced? How can I get that dang a/c line off. Thanks for all your help.

Also, the fuel line got so hot that it burnt a whole in the low pressure hardline on the a/c.
The FUEL line got that hot?! Man, get out of that car immediately! There is something dangerously wrong with it.

If you meant the transaxle cooler line, well, that's a different story. The CD4E transaxle used in these cars is notorious for early demise. If you choose to keep the car and get the transaxle mount fixed, try changing the ATF a few times over the course of 50 miles or so. A drain-and-fill takes ~4 quarts, which is about half the total capacity, so changing it 3 times in a row gets almost 90% of the fluid. There is no serviceable filter. Good luck.

I am in OH. I call the attorney generals off and the basically said I was screwed. I looked at the problem and 2 of the 3 bolts are broke off into the trans. I took it to tuffy and they said it will cost $780 to fix it.

I am in OH. I call the attorney generals off and the basically said I was screwed. I looked at the problem and 2 of the 3 bolts are broke off into the trans. I took it to tuffy and they said it will cost $780 to fix it.

Drilling and Tapping new holes is not that hard. There is always a way to get broken bolts out or tapped.

And TUFFY is called TUFFY because they STIFFY you hardcore. Tuffy is the same place that wanted to change me 380 to do DRUM brakes on my old car. take it to an independent shop.

I had a guy do it on a side job for $300. It stopped hiting hard on the first shift after he fixed it. When I drove it home though it started doing it again. Its not that he didnt do the job right, its still together. I think the other mounts are weakened now. It looks like the mount by the timing cover and the one in the back where the problem was are newer ones. Do you think it is a worn out mount causing it to do it again?

I had a guy do it on a side job for $300. It stopped hiting hard on the first shift after he fixed it. When I drove it home though it started doing it again. Its not that he didnt do the job right, its still together. I think the other mounts are weakened now. It looks like the mount by the timing cover and the one in the back where the problem was are newer ones. Do you think it is a worn out mount causing it to do it again?

More likely that all the mounts are worn out. Since you replaced the one, the other's are likely more noticeable now.

Back