• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Well guys,

starjammir

Hard-core CEG'er
I am getting another addition to the contour family...a pre 98 zetec 5 speed. It has 150K on it and a snapped timing belt. I am also getting a new clutch for it since its the original. I know nothing about zetecs and maintence since I have owned 2 duratecs. Any suggetions on what to do with this amount of mileage? I was thinking a whole new rebuild on the engine? I know nothing about at this time as it is getting delievered in a week. I am open to suggestions. Please post parts and numbers or names of where to get the stuff.

i have 176k on my 95 with the original clutch so you might be ok there ... I changed teh timing belt at 104k and other then some other stuff the only other enigne issue I have is the rear mail seal is leaking some, other then that I have done nothing but maintenence with the engine ...

almost forgot I had the original spark plug wires go bad around 100k also, but that was fixed after going to the dealer because we couldn't figure it out ... :blackeye:

Last edited:
What year is it? If you got a 96 or 97, go to a Ford dealer and have your wiring harness replaced for free. That is of course you have cracking, brittle, or bare wires.

A snaped timing belt means the engine is out of alignment, but you may have no problem fixing that. Check the alternator and WP to if those are work correctly. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

What year is it? If you got a 96 or 97, go to a Ford dealer and have your wiring harness replaced for free. That is of course you have cracking, brittle, or bare wires.
At 150k, he's 50k past the recall allowance. He might get lucky and has bought one that already had the recall performed. If you have wiring issues and do it yourself, KerryKool seems to be the one to ask questions of, as he recently rewired his car.

Welcome to the Zetec threads! I just started browsing as well - '96 ATX w/ 121,500 miles and bad wiring bought last week.

150K boy that car has at least another 100k left in it. Change the trans fluid and check the suspension components. Good luck!

No crap...another 100K? Wow zetecs are better than duratecs then. I wonder how much is left on my svt and mystique...hmmm

No crap...another 100K? Wow zetecs are better than duratecs then. I wonder how much is left on my svt and mystique...hmmm

well my zetec is currently at 228xxx miles and almost 10 years. my dad got the car with 12xxx miles on it and then i got it with 175xxx. never had a major problem (any problem really) they are very strong little engines.

never had a major problem (any problem really) they are very strong little engines.

So true, They are great little engines!:laugh: My buddy has a focus and he pounds the $#*@ out of it and it still runs fine. I take care of my little 4 banger and it has treated me well. The key is keeping up on it and treating it well.

Back