• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BI-Fuel Zetec

mjholmst

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I blew the engine on my 2000 Contour last fall and now want to get it fixed before winter. I was looking at a site that sells ford engines and selected the year and model, and it came up with a BI-Fuel version of the same 2.0L Zetec. I was wondering what else would be needed if I swapped one of those in there...fuel pump, lines, etc. Does anyone else have this kind of engine? Thanks ahead for any useful information.

You'd need a lot of equipment to swap over to the CNG car. Tank, regulators, sendors, wiring harnesses, new PCM possibly, etc, etc.

Then, you'd have to find a place to fill up on CNG - not easy to do, even in CA. Otherwise, you'll have to buy your own CNG pump $$$ & fill up on the low pressure gas lines at your house - if you have the hookup available.

Thanks for the replies, but I've read around on some different sites and it looks like Bi-Fuel ford engines burn regular gas with any mixture of ethanol, not CNG or LNG. I'll probably end up just buying and installing the regular engine but I was curious since ethanol is getting pretty prevalent up here in the Midwest.

1998 Contour bi-fuel

1998 Contour bi-fuel

My Contour bi-fuel burns gasoline and CNG but the systems are pretty well separate. The CNG tank is in the trunk and holds 4 gallons (GGE). I had to buy a used FuelMaker FM4 fueling appliance which is expensive. The car runs well on both fuels...you can't tell the difference. CNG is hard to find, but it is cheaper and burns cleaner.
Wildowl
1998 Contour Zetec ATX bi-fuel CNG

So if yuor house has natural gas can you fill it from there or is it different. I mean I'm sure you'd need the right connections but if you did would it work. Sorry just noticed TourDeForces comment. question answered

Back