• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

shifter cable

tigerbalm

Veteran CEG'er
Occasionally when shifting from 2nd to third my cable pops off of my shifter under the boot. mainly does it when i speed shift. The cable is brand new and i'm wondering if there is a way to keep it on there better.

ahhh yes, the universal fix all tool. lol. Thanks for the help. I was also thinking about a zip tie or 2.

Duct tape.

Mine sucks the nuts too, ford couldent design anything intelligently on this car.
IMO I doubt there is a car factory on this planet that, when designing a car, planned on anyone speed shifting the transmission in it. Especially when the car is front drive (and cable shifted) which is the last design anyone would use for drag racing. :nonono: Most, if not all, manufacturers will void your warranty if they find out you've been racing your car. If driven intelligently these cars will last a good long time. If you want to mistreat your car, you'll need to beef it up to make it last longer. :idea:
Karl

never said i was racing. i'm just on the road a lot and usually in heavy traffic. its just a really big inconvenience when i'm trying to make my way in and BAM. no more shifter until i pull over and reattach. i dont even have to run the rpm up.

never said i was racing. i'm just on the road a lot and usually in heavy traffic. its just a really big inconvenience when i'm trying to make my way in and BAM. no more shifter until i pull over and reattach. i dont even have to run the rpm up.
I know but since speed shifting is really only useful in drag racing, I made a leap in logic however presumptuous. Plus I wasn't replying to your post but the one I quoted. It might be interesting to note that taking our cars to the redline (whether to speed shift or not) violates just about every city speed ordinance there is and that's just in first or second gear. And heavy traffic would most likely nullify any attempt to do so on the freeway. So, unless you are doing the occasional speed shift on a drag strip (though not racing because you said you didn't race ;)) having a cable come adrift might be the least of your worries. :eek:
Karl

maybe i should have used the words quick shift instead of speed shift. I'm just trying to get a quick smooth shift since i dont like the long delay of a causual shift when people are trying to cut me off. driving skills of some of the people around here are less than curteous, and most are complete idiots behind the wheel. Like rich little teenagers that just got their new liscence and dont give a crap about if they cause an accident.

I had a shifter cable on my 5 speed Chrysler Lebaron come off at the trans, leaving me in 2nd. There was a clip kit to retain the snap on cable, fixed it fine. I wonder if Ford has a similar fix, although it sounds like your problem is on the shifter end.

Back