• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Coil Pack Question

iBrent

Veteran CEG'er
Hey everyone,

So I'm one of the not so few who have bucking/hesitation problems from idel to when the secondaries open up. I recently replaced the following:

- spark plugs (Double Plats, properly gapped and greased)
- plug wires (Motorcraft OEM from Autozone)
- Fuel filter (OEM)
- Fuel Pump (at the stealership)

So now, still convinced its an ignition problem, I went to test the coil pack as per the instructions on the Autozone website. The primaries all tested around .7 Ohm. I then removed the wires from 1+5, and tested the secondary for coil 1. It tested around 14.4kOhms (out of spec). So I put those two wires back on and moved to the second coil in the middle. Removed its wires and tested...14.5kOhms. Same with the third. Now could the reason these are testing out of specs is because I'm leaving the other 4 wires on? Or are each coil bank isolated from the others? Meaning, would I get different results if I removed all 6 wires and then tested it? I didn't want to label and remove all the wires which is why I did it this way.

Also, the autozone link that everyone goes by is for the 99 Contour/Mystique/Cougar. Mine is a 2000 SVT...I'm assuming its all the same right?

Thanks everyone!

Brent

Perhaps this will help someone.

I pulled all 6 wires off and removed the coil pack completely. Turns out, the coils are not isolated from each other. The resistance changed when all wires were removed, however it went up. So each coil was testing around 15.6kOhms...even further out of specification.

So I went to autozone and replaced it with a duralast brand, where each coil checked out at 11.1kOhms.

Put it on the car, still runs, but no change in the hesitation problem. I'll be checking the TPS next since the hesitation seems to be effected by throttle position.

Another problem I noticed was sometimes in second gear, well after the secondaries open up, around 4500RPM I will get a lag. It feels like a fuel starvation issue, but it ONLY occurs at WOT. It I let off the gas (at the same RPM) and then slam it back to WOT, there's no lag...weird.

On your second problem, since it is a returnless fuel system, you may have a plugged fuel pump module intake screen. If it is restricted (and if it isn't now it will eventually become so) it would explain you hesitation under high fuel demand.

I suggest that you go the the how to for removing the fuel pump, pull the pump, find the screen and throw it as far as you can. It is too small and too fine. You don't need it. There is a conventional sock filter prior to the pump inside the pump module.

Back