• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transmission fluid backing up

dragan

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I have Contour sport '97 V6 automatic, 115,000 km on the clock.

All of a suden I got transmission fluid backing up through that little pipe where you can check fluid level.
While driving, gears are kinda slipping, it feels like when you drive manual transmission and press and release clutch all of a sudden. Engine revs up until transmission engage again and then it's all ok for a while

Mechanic told me that is either pump or some bearing inside that doesn't hold and is releasing presure and causing fluid to back up that pipe.
To be able to tell, he need to open it up and check, with price tag between 1500 - 3000...

Did anybody had similar problem, and is that mechanic telling me the truth, or is usual story when you go to them "auuu, you have huuuuge (read expensive) problem..."

Thanks
Dragan

Two questions come to mind.

Is the transmission vent plugged? It is a hose that comes up from the trans up near the front of the battery.

What is the condition of the fluid?

I can't see the hose, so I guess it's a valve.

How do I check is that valve operating or not? Can that be reason why transmission is slipping?

Fluid looks ok to me, quite clean and a bit brown in color, smells like oil is best I can describe...

On the pipe where you check the level, it was almost to the top when I discovered that is overflowing, but now is just a little over the maximum. Car has been sitting on the parking for the whole afternoon - should I check that again when engine gets hot?

Thanks for help
Dragan

Back