• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Might buy a Zetec-Your opinions

Ares

Veteran CEG'er
Would appreciate some input from the zetec experts here on a car I'm looking to pick up.

Its a 96 Mystique 'Spree' whatever that means with a 5 speed. It has 158k miles. I'm going to take a look at it later this week and I'm told that everythings good on it overall but it does need an ac compressor and belt for the ac to work. And it also needs some type of rubber insert in the steering wheel column because it has some play in it.

Looks nice from the picture I've seen and the guys asking for 1200. I was hoping you guys might be able to tell me what else to look for and if you think this might be a good deal. And maybe how much more life I could reasonably expect to get out of this car with good maintanance.

I did a little reading and if I understand correctly this wouold not have the VCT which it seems like many do not really care for. And I've also seen that the ac compressor swap shouldn't be too difficult at all to swap out. Any thoughts?

anything pre 98 doesn't have VCT.. Which means less timing problems.

1200$ seems a little high for the mileage.. I'd talk him down to atleast 850-900 dollar range.

Check for wiring harness cracks, make sure timing belt/waterpump has been changed. As far as that theres not much other stuff to watch for.

You should be able to hit 200,000mi+ easy or more with a zetec, my one atx has 186k on it and still runs like the day I got it, and the compression is great for a motor of that age.

And don't forget to check for the usual. Brakes, suspension, etc...if the brakes have a lot of wear and may need replacing soon that another good bargaining point. When I was first looking for a car I was looking at a Plymouth Acclaim with 120k on it. The guy wanted $1200, but I got him down to $700 because it had a paint defect and it needed new pads and rotors. But I ended up getting my 'Tour instead. Great choice :p lol

you should be able to easily go well over 200K miles. mine has 241K on it right now. my clutch finally went out and i have been in the process of rebuilding it for a turbo :drool: (along with another suprise that i just picked up this weekend :D)

Check that the Floor/ Defroster controls on the heater work properly.

My '95 was seriously kerfolixed. I repaired a flapper control stub and posted pictures. That's a major pia, it involves pulling the dash.

Illinois car, you've got salt. Look at the rear brake lines. They run through a rear subframe. I repaired both of mine and didn't route them the same way. Sheesh.

And definitely beat them down on price.

Thanks for the replies. Meeting the guy tomorrow. I'll see how that goes and then post an update.

Back