• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OBD Code 1744

sprindl

CEG'er
I am considering the purchase of a 2000 Mystique. The current owner has indicated that code 1744 is showing. This of course means that the check engine light is on. Would somone here please direct me toward a solution? Or give me some background on the error.

I would also welcome informatio on error 420.

The vehicle is the Duratec with 94,000 miles on the odometer.

-sp

Torque convertor clutch stuck off. This means the torque convertor in the transmission is not locking up. To improve efficiency when the car is up to speed in fourth gear the computer sends a command to the transmission to lock the torque convertor. This eliminates the minor slipping that occurs and improves mileage. Could mean a transmission rebuild but could also just be sludged up.

I'd stay away from the car unless it's a great deal. If you buy it you might be able to free it up with a couple of fluid flushes. I'd change the fluid, run for about 3 to 5 thousand miles and change the fluid again. If it's still showing the code and the wiring etc looks good it's time for a trans job.

Actually, P1744 means the TC is slipping, usually due to a worn valve body. Parts cost for a new valve body and torque converter plus the labor to replace them.

Bad precat....

Run like the wind.......

Steve

P1744 issue could cost you $1,500 to $3,000 to get it fixed.

P0420 could cost you $30 (for mileliminators if the Bank1 exhaust manifold is not clogged up) to $1,500 for the Bank 1 exhaust manifold if it is clogged up.

Now, you can make an intelligent decision on the price of the car you are thinking of buying.

If the current owner flushes and cleans the fluids and the codes does not return, should I trust that the causing condition has been corrected?

-sp

If the current owner flushes and cleans the fluids and the codes does not return, should I trust that the causing condition has been corrected?

-sp

I wouldn't...... but I might be persuaded to change my mind depending on the price of the car :laugh: .

-sp

Nope, unless he also replaces the valve body and the torque converter or provides an allowance for you to do it.

This is a notorious fault with the CD4E and should be recognized as such before jumping into a car with this fault.

BTDT.

Steve

Back