• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

inner and outer tire wear

zetec herman

CEG'er
Sorry, i don't know if this should be here, in wheel and tires, or suspension.

My tour has excessive tire wear on the inner and outer edge of both front tires. I know the car could use an alignment but I get the feeling that something might be giving away in the suspension. When ever I get up to a speed of 40-45 mph I sort of get a drowning noise. At first I thought it sounded like a wheel bearing but I think bearings would get louder as you increase speed. I know I should check the ball joints and tie rods. I'm also wondering if the noise could be due to the tires wearing down.

Anyone have any other suggestions of stuff to look for? Everything looks ok underneath, but I'm not an expert. With 109K on the stock suspension, stuff may need replacing.

I work at a Ford dealer, they will do an alignment on my car for free.

TIA

sometimes if you are low on air...the outsides wear because the inside is pushed up into the tire.

...My tour has excessive tire wear on the inner and outer edge of both front tires. I know the car could use an alignment but I get the feeling that something might be giving away in the suspension. When ever I get up to a speed of 40-45 mph I sort of get a drowning noise. At first I thought it sounded like a wheel bearing but I think bearings would get louder as you increase speed. I know I should check the ball joints and tie rods. I'm also wondering if the noise could be due to the tires wearing down.

Anyone have any other suggestions of stuff to look for? Everything looks ok underneath, but I'm not an expert. With 109K on the stock suspension, stuff may need replacing.

I work at a Ford dealer, they will do an alignment on my car for free.

TIA
Yes, a drowning noise at high speeds could be worn tires hitting the wear bars. At lower speeds, it will give the "thud, thud, thud" sound. Good test, put rears in front and fronts in rear. That issue should disappear.

Worn on inner and outer edges usually means tire pressure too low. Check that too. Yes, if you need a alignment, you should have it done first.

But do the o'clock test to see if you have lower ball joint/tie rod and wheel bearing problems.

O'clock test

Jack up the car one side. Place on jack stand.

Grasp wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and push in and out. Any movement, most probably suspect wheel bearing.

9 and 3 o'clock - tie-rod/ball joint.

Lower the car and do the same for the other side.

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow Tony. Besides the tire grabbing test, how could you visually tell if a ball joint or tie rod was shot by looking underneath the car?

Hard to visually tell. If the rubber boots are broken, that might be a giveaway but another way is to grab the tie rods or ball joints and see if you can move them. This of course with the car safely jacked up. Any movement from its seat(s) would indicate worn item.

Just reread your original post, yes, at 109K miles, it is probably time for new springs and struts all around. $$$$:blackeye:

i just have a quick question about the o'clock test. do you push at 3 and 9 and the same time, or push on 3 while pulling on 9 and then vice versa.

i just have a quick question about the o'clock test. ........ push on 3 while pulling on 9 and then vice versa.

push on 3 while pulling on 9 and then vice versa . Basically, you are trying to shake it loose!

thanks, i just wanted to make sure i was doing it right. I'm noticed a little movement in my right front a couple days ago when i was changing oil. the 9-3 gives a little movement. What is a good way to check the inner tie rod. Its either that or the wheel bearing.

... the 9-3 gives a little movement. What is a good way to check the inner tie rod. Its either that or the wheel bearing.
Actually, it is the outer tie rod or the lower ball joint.

Jack up the car, pull/push on the tie rod and do the same for the lower ball joint. You should be able to notice some slight movement when it should be tight. Don't use too much brute strength. Don't want the car crashing down on you when you are under there. :eek:

Back