• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

tire wear inside

97vulcan

CEG'er
My tires on my 98 CSVT are wearing on the edges inside. What could be the cause of this? the car still tracks well on the road. But I would like to get new tires, and hopefully not have this problem again.

Thanks,
Adam

Inside wear? That would be alignment, your *toe* is incorrectly set.

*Is it toe or camber?*

I read that the contours have alignment issues, so where should I take it in? the dealership, or another shop to have it properly aligned.

Thanks,
Adam

you have too much negative camber. unless you have the camber caster kit or there is something (strut) bent there is nothing you can do about it. take to a shop that you trust, weather its the local dealership or an independent shop.

is the car lowered? you might think about getting the camber/caster kit.

I had that problem on mine without any modifications. It was resolved by installing the camber kits and reducing negative camber.

I was told several times it was a toe issue but setting the toe never resolved it until camber was adjusted.

My CSVT has the same issue at all 4 corners with stock suspension. I didn't know of it until I was under it for the first time changing the oil a couple weeks ago. I have service records showing that alignments have been performed and everything was within the spec'd range, so I just figured the suspension was set up for more negative camber all around than most non-performance oriented cars. Is it normal/acceptable for SVT tires to wear faster on the inside?

My CSVT has the same issue at all 4 corners with stock suspension. I didn't know of it until I was under it for the first time changing the oil a couple weeks ago. I have service records showing that alignments have been performed and everything was within the spec'd range, so I just figured the suspension was set up for more negative camber all around than most non-performance oriented cars. Is it normal/acceptable for SVT tires to wear faster on the inside?

No.

Did you find out after I left? I would have checked out the springs and struts for you if you had mentioned it. Check if your struts and springs are failing. Also check if your end links, and lower ball joints are failing too. Do the o'clock test. And if the toe is too far out, you could get inside edge wear problems too. SilverSvts, whom I bought rims from, had 2 tires which had inside edge wear. Unfortunately, he doesn't post anymore.

O'clock test

Jack up the car one side. Place on jack stand.

Grasp wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and push in and out. Any movement, most probably suspect wheel bearing.

9 and 3 o'clock - tie-rod/ball joint.

Lower the car and do the same for the other side.

Last edited:
I don't think I had noticed it yet when you were there Tony. The o'clock test is fine, no movement. I probably need camber plates but don't feel like putting the money into it yet unless I get new struts or tires, and I don't have the time to do it now either. On a side note, I just discovered 2 of my E1s and winter tires were stolen while I was away from Cville, so I may need to put money into replacing those. See post in Capitol CEG.

What kinda wear? Like choppy, that'd be toe. Just smooth but still all on the inside is negative camber which of course only camber plates can fix. Even lowered a good bit, I still fall within stock specs but every contour is different, plus, if u push the car hard in corners the outside wear can match the inside wear caused by some negative camber ((just look at most german sports models)). I did have some toe wear cuz Im lazy and dont align my car enough (I do it myself at work for free, just lazy). But mainly on one tire and not enough to matter with usual rotatiaton and of course I run through tires quicker than most people because of how I drive.

What kinda wear? Like choppy, that'd be toe. Just smooth but still all on the inside is negative camber which of course only camber plates can fix. Even lowered a good bit, I still fall within stock specs but every contour is different, plus, if u push the car hard in corners the outside wear can match the inside wear caused by some negative camber ((just look at most german sports models)). I did have some toe wear cuz Im lazy and dont align my car enough (I do it myself at work for free, just lazy). But mainly on one tire and not enough to matter with usual rotatiaton and of course I run through tires quicker than most people because of how I drive.

Depends on how stiff the tire sidewall is. Too much negative camber can also cause some chopiness as well as the smooth stripe. I have a pair of BFG KDWS in the garage if you need proof.

... I didn't know of it until I was under it for the first time changing the oil a couple weeks ago. ...
I just found the EXACT same thing the other night. I've had the car for just under 2 months, and noticed the fronts have some severe inner wear. I'll have to look into those camber kits as well as the clock test. Thanks for the info! :cool:
Erick --

Back