• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blower fan works when it wants

dtsharp

New CEG'er
I had this problem a while ago. But the fan has been working up until yesterday. I have been all over the forum checking all the suggestions. I checked the voltage to the fan - 12.5 v. I checked the ohms to for the fan, I get a reading. I replaced the resistor pack not to long ago and double checked today, and its fine. I also replaced the relay when I did the resistor pack. Today, while I was driving, I put the fan on high. About 10 minutes in, the fan came on. Blowing strong. I turned on the A/C and it kept going, blowing out some nice cold air. While I was sitting at a red light, the fan slowly died out.

I have a 99 'tour SE sport. Bought it right off the truck in the end of '98. She stills looks and runs great!!! Except for my fan problem.

Any suggestions for an intermittent fan?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome :) . Jump the fan and see if it is the motor. Then check fuses. Then check blower knob switch.

thanks, will do

thanks, will do

I will do that tomorrow. What is the simplest way to check the switch? (without ripping the dash apart.) When I checked the power to the blower it had a voltage going to it. But it was the same when I turned the knob to a lower speed. Is there another controller for the fan speed? Like another plug that I am not seeing? And what does the resistor pack do?

also some of those had an extended warranty coverage on the fan switch, pm me your vin and i can check and see if it is applicable to your vehicle ( i work at a mercury dealership) :cool:

The resistor pack causes the voltage at the blower motor to drop, adjusting the speed. If blower motor voltage was the same at lower speed that would be normal with the blower motor disconnected (because there is no current through the resistor), abnormal with motor connected.

I will do that tomorrow. What is the simplest way to check the switch? (without ripping the dash apart.) When I checked the power to the blower it had a voltage going to it. But it was the same when I turned the knob to a lower speed. Is there another controller for the fan speed? Like another plug that I am not seeing? And what does the resistor pack do?

Check the blower fan first. Take it out, then jump it to the car battery. If it works, you know it is something else. If not, it is the blower fan motor.

Edit. Read this. Forgot to link it earlier.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1263437&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Well, I took the motor out. And it was dead. It was very easy to get out and replace. One thing though, is that what you get at the store is different then what you take out. I actually took the motor out of the plastic casing. Didn't have to do it. The new one looked like motor stuck in the middle of a metal round plate. It had the same part number but with an X on the end. So, if you check out autozone's website, don't expect to get what is pictured. Which if I knew, it would have save me a half hour of trying to get the old motor out without breaking the plastic housing. The part number at autozone is PM3344. (Also at Pepboy's too, but Autozone is cheaper.) The part in the box though is PM3344X. The fan works great!!! Thanks for all the suggestions and support.

Back