• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking to buy a 98 Zetec, but there is one problem

Manimillion

Veteran CEG'er
I took a look at a '98 Zetec w/ 171,000km's today. Everything is fine with the car. It needs front bearings and balljoints, other then that there was a CEL, I pulled the code and it was P1381 - Variable Cam Timing Over-advanced (Bank 1). I drove the car and it seems to drive fine, with no hesitation, bucking or misfire through out the rev range.

Should I be staying away from this car? What could be wrong?

Could be a couple of things. First I would change the oil. It could be contaminated oil. If it still comes on after resetting, It could be a timing issue. Don't know when a timing belt was put on last. That engine has a VCT solenoid and if the timing is not perfect it can give that code. The last thing is the VCT solenoid could be bad. With that many miles, I would do a timing belt change and waterpump change. I think the Gates timing kit runs about $100 and the waterpump is probably $40. If the VCT solenoid is bad you can get that from Teamford for about $275.

what are they asking for it and in how good of shape is the rest of the vehicle? i have a customer that has a bad solenoid and she doesnt have the money to fix it so she drives it, doesnt notice that anything is wrong. has plenty of power ect..

Back