• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Req: Pics of TCE kit's front brake line installed

vudusvt

CEG'er
Hi all,

Comparing the supplied instructions with the lines & hardware in my kit, there is just NO way to hook up the lines the "correct" way.

We managed to get the lines hooked up, but pretty much "the reverse" of how it's described in the instructions.

Can anyone provide any confirmation on this?

The way my kit is now, either I have the wrong line or I'm missing one adaptor. :mad:

TIA.

updated info

updated info

OK, Todd has gotten back to me with more info. It seems TCE had revised the front brake line setup at some point. They did not, however, update the instructions.

With the rears & the driver's side installed, I'm 75% finished.

For anyone interested, I'll post pics when I'm able to finish the passenger side (waiting for a part- long story:crazy: ). I'll also post pics of the revised brake lines along with the instructions that need to be changed.

Looking at the lines Todd donated to SZ these are the best looking lines I've come across hands down.

OK, here are a few pics from my TCE big brake install. I'll U/L some pics of the front brake lines & verbage from the TCE instructions as soon as I get the last one installed (waiting for the correct rotor).

Here's the rear w/ bracket & spacer. Note the bracket mounts to the inboard side of the hub and the spacer mounts to the outboard side of the bracket.
Rear-bracketandspacer.jpg

The TCE lines didn't come with rubber grommets, so we wrapped the "contact point" in radiator hose and zip-tied it to the bracket.
Rear-zip-tie.jpg

We did the same for the bracket located on the strut.
Rear-line-routing.jpg

Here's the rear rotor. In the background, you can see the other rear rotor- with the hat incorrectly installed.
Rear-rotor.jpg

Here's what a broken sway bar bracket looks like. I've got the 21mm BAT bar on there and the mount lasted about 2100 mi. Upgraded subframe goes on next!
Broken-sway-bar-mount.jpg

Here's the completed rear assy.
Final-rear.jpg

Here's the rear with the wheel back on
Finished-rear.jpg

Last edited:
More pics.

Here's the correct orientation of the front bracket.
Front-bracket.jpg

Here's the finished (driver) side.
Finished-front.jpg

Pics of the "revised" front lines will be posted (prob.) next weekend.

FYI, wheels are Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 (17x7 et50) shod with 225/45/17 sitting on a Koni Sport Kit. No rubbing issues that I've noticed and PLENTY of clearance for the 13" rotor and FSL caliper up front.

VUDUSVT has raised an intersting question on front hose fit. I'm reviewing the hose spec and trying to figure out the dimensions on them. Something has changed and per our discussions it may be the removal of the former "hardline" adapter.

I shall review the spec as wel as the possible need for center supports on them (never had them on the fronts or rears) and get back to everyone soon.

If you have a set of the current hoses (probably the past year or two) and have them in service in fine shape please let me know. If you have them and they show signs of stretching or rubbing please let me know that also.

Finally done!

Finally done!

Here are some pics of the final wheel.

Here is the front brake line installed. The assy. order for the included hardware is: hard-line--> straight end+spring clip--> 90* end--> adapter--> caliper. Todd has told me that the changes have been made to instructions for future buyers of the kit.
Front-brake-lines.jpg

This is the 90* end of the brake line. An adapter it fitted between it and the caliper.
90-deg-fitting.jpg

Here is my unofficial, not-quite-DOT-compliant protective (radiator hose) tubing fitted over the brake line.
Protective-hose.jpg

In checking for clearance and rubbing issues, there doesn't seem to be any rubbing (brakeline against inner tire), on either wheel, until you hit the steering "lock". Luckily, most normal people don't have to turn the wheel that far unless they're traveling fairly slow, i.e. U-turns, K-turns, reverse parallel parking, etc. I'll be pulling my wheels and inspecting the lines for any rubbing, kinks, leaks, etc. later in the week.

As Todd has recently inquired, has anyone with this kit experienced any wear, binding, etc. with regard to their front brake lines? Does anyone have any suggestions for a "more functional" brake line layout- with might further improve upon this already stellar product?

Pretty much as I'd have expected it to look Chuck. However a bit misleading when in full droop also makes it look to be quite short. At ride height there will be more length. Let me review some lengths and perhaps we'll look at a different way to address it better. *the hoses are also now clear covered so additional jacketing may not really be necessary.

Pretty much as I'd have expected it to look Chuck. However a bit misleading when in full droop also makes it look to be quite short. At ride height there will be more length....

I agree. At ride height the lines look to have plenty of slack and, as I 've said, they don't begin to rub (just barely, too) until you hit the end of the car's steering range.

If anything, the only thing I have a slight concern about is the "severity of bend" of the brakeline as it curves up then down after the hardline. It appears to be somewhat sharp. It seems that the prior version's 90* connection at the hardline may have helped in this regard.

You had mentioned the deletion of the AN fitting to the hardline as cutting the possibilities of leakage, would it be possible to have a 90* connection(with spring clip groove) to the hardline? That configuration (or even with a 45* connector) seems that it may offer more strain relief to the brakeline.

I Hope I'm not talking out of my arse with my suggestions, but how often does one get the opportunity to voice his concerns regarding a product- and actually be listened to?

BTW, Todd, the infamous 10-hole rotor went out Monday, so you should be getting it shortly.

Not sure what I'll do with that rotor....

I have a set of alternate hoses in the works which I may send your way if you wish to help out. Not turning a blind eye to this at all. I appreciate your input. I know what we have now will work as there are many of them in service. I'm not overly worried about contact at full lock- full lock with rubbing at high speed and I think you have bigger concerns than hoses....but if we can make it a bit better why not? The hard line fitting however will need to remain straight as that is the only option to that fitting.

The 'cut' length is now 14" which is the same as the current overall. About 1.5" longer than current. The caliper end is 45* rather than 90*.

Last edited:
Back