• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2000 timing components different

Rich2279

CEG'er
Anyone do a timing belt on a 2000 'Tour? Mine only uses one idler, not the additional one at the bottom. Having a hard time setting the tension. I've followed all of the how to's, but the belt is running far offcenter.

Did you replace the idler? I know on my 99 the idler had worn edges which made it walk around until it was rubbing on the timing cover.

Did you leave the cam sprockets loose when you set the tension? Need to leave them loose when setting the tension.

cam belt on the outside of the pulley

cam belt on the outside of the pulley

Hello

I have a 99 4 cyl and I had a real problem with my cam belt walking off the outside of the pulleys. So bad that it would shred a belt in less than 1,000 miles on the highway. I finally fixed it, buy making certain that the cam belt tension was set correctly (or a little loose, tight will walk the belt right off of the pulleys) and that requires that you use the tools and technique as outlined elsewhere. I got further relief by removing the bottom idler all together. Works like a champ, I can now see some of the cam pulleys on the outside and the crank pulley is no longer overheating the outside of the cam belt.

Good luck

So, you also removed the lower idler? The kit I bought said "your car may or may not use the bottom idler if it was built after '98."

Back