• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help me diagnose a noise:

willeh

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Alright, i have this really loud noise coming from the front end when i drive.
It gets noticeable above 20km/h, but kinda disappears after 120km/h...

Now, the sound is kind of a humm, and it gets pretty loud around 80 (50 mph) it goes with wheel speed, not engine speed (when i put the car in neutral and coast, it continues)...

It is there when i drive in a straight line, and when I corner left, but kind disappears (for a few sec) when i corner right.

I know its not tire noise because it does the same thing on dirt as it does pavement.

I think that it may be a front wheel bearing, or cv joint?

Before you assume wheel bearing or bad axle joint, make sure its not in the brakes. Something could be dragging against the rotor, or it could even be the wear indicator on your brake pads.

However, what you said about how it goes away when you turn does suggest a bearing. When you turn right, it takes the load off the left side bearing temporarily, so it would stop the noise.

Try jacking up your left front wheel and check for play in the hub. It should rotate and there should be no lateral movement whatsoever. If you can jiggle it back and forth, your bearing is shot.

Also, if your bearing is bad, it will almost definitely get worse and the noise will get louder, so you could just listen for that. However, waiting for it to get worse will almost certainly ruin your hub.

Let us know what you find!

Back