• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lifter Noise

Deep

New CEG'er
Ok, so I posted a couple weeks about a ticking noise from my engine....

mechanic said its a bad lifters and to add additive to oil at nex oil change to lubricate more.

so i added an additive designed to lubricate more and reduce engine noise, it was recommend by the shop, during my oil change today.

anyways, the tapping/clicking lifter noise is still there? what would be next step I should take to fix this noise??

its been happening for a 4-5 months now, all through winter pretty much, the whole time however my oil level has been good, so i havent been starving the engine.

Thanks!

I'm not a huge fan of adding anything other than 5W-30 oil -- stay away from stuff like Slick 50 and the like.

However, you may be able to add a little Lucas to quiet that up. Its 100% petroleum, and pours like honey in February. A quart will run you about $10. I would not use more than half a quart -- it should be substituted for that much motor oil.

Do this at your own risk, but Lucas is good at quieting that sort of nonsense. Hell, they use it extensively in racing motors -- gets a lot of credit for being good for bearings, etc.

Can I add Lucas in on top of oil for now? Or do I have to do at next oil change, which wont be for another 6 months probably?

There are many types of Lucas products, which one are you reffering to specifically?

Can this lifter noise turn into something more serious? I mean its already been happening for 4-5 months......

i had a similar noise for a while in the svt I recently purchased. I used lucas oil in it & some other things but nothing helped. The engine quit on me & is locked up like it may have jumped time soooooooooooo, I'm thinking it might have been a bad timing chain tensioner causing the noise. I'm going to tear into it & see what I find but I advise you to look into it, or if you have backup transportation you can risk it. Even though I'm not walking, I'm kicking myself for not looking into it before further damage was done.

Can I add Lucas in on top of oil for now? Or do I have to do at next oil change, which wont be for another 6 months probably?

There are many types of Lucas products, which one are you reffering to specifically?

Can this lifter noise turn into something more serious? I mean its already been happening for 4-5 months......

Specifically, Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Comes in a tall white bottle with a blue cap.

Just don't overfill the crankcase. If you need to drop a half quart to make room for the Lucas, do so.

As for your lifters, some noise is not uncommon in todays overhead cam motors. You're more than likely due for new shims and a valve adjustment. Its worth checking the lash caps while you're in there. Excessive noise can indicate wear, but unlike a spun rod bearing, you're probably not going to have any major issues, especialy since you've been running like this for a while. In extreme cases, a very worn shim can catch the cam lobe and be ejected from the shim bucket. Not ideal.

Again, given the reliable operation you're experiencing, with noise as your only symptom, you may not need to rush to check things out.

my old bimmer ticked non stop, though it had 172k miles, I added lucas and it did nothing, but I've read tons of positive reviews before buying it and yet it still didn't do anything for me, but I'd still try it before spending a ton of money to have it fixed. I'd swap a 3 liter before paying to have head work done, it'll be the same cost roughly.

Back