• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Leak

carolina brand

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I just change the oil on my car now everytime I stop it leaks from the filter and the bolt it looks like, could it be the oil is to thin or a bad gasket

everytime I stop it leaks from the filter
Check the old filter and be sure the gasket (O-ring seal) came off with it. If it did, then either the new filter isn't tight enough or it's defective. If you no longer have the old filter, just take the new one off and check to be sure the old gasket isn't stuck to the block. Also, some drain plugs have a crush washer on them that has to be replaced each time you remove the plug. Most auto parts stores (like NAPA, AutoZone, Advance, etc) have them. In a pinch, most hardware stores will have a selection of nylon washers...
could it be the oil is to thin
NO motor oil is THAT thin...what viscosity did you put in? A little more info in your posts would be helpful...

Last edited:
Also, some drain plugs have a crush washer on them that has to be replaced each time you remove the plug.

I don't think the Ztec was that way. I never replaced that part (can't actually recall if there was a washer) when I had mine and it never leaked out of the drain hole. I think Overlord is looking in the right direction with the old filter's gasket...

I'd say when removing the old filter the gasket got stuck on, and no one noticed while putting the new one on.

By the way, with the oil plug gasket, my stated to leak after I cracked my pain, 2 or 3 drips through the night. I just used a felpro one we had for the mustang gasket kit, made from plastic and it works great.

Back