• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine/trans mounts 3 or 4?

james9290

New CEG'er
Hello guys i have read some places there are 3 others say they are 4.
98 ford contour 2.0 auto trans went to autozone and advance other day as my book got lost etheir one have chiltons manual have to order it but wanted to try get some parts online now then get it done in coming weeks. Anyone know correct info thanks

there is one engine mount, one trans mount and two roll restrictors .... engine mount is from the engine to the passanger inner fender, the trans mount is from the trans to the drivers inner fender and the rool restrictors are from the engine/trans to the subframe front and back ...

thanks

thanks

thanks i saw this http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/32/6c/2d_1.JPG
says

These are new aftermarket engine & trans mounts for a 1998-2000 Ford Contour & Mercury Mystique with a 2.0 & 2.5 engine & automatic trans. These fit on the front center of the car near the radiator, the rear by the firewall & the top on drivers side.

So I'm guessing one is missing

thanks i saw this http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/32/6c/2d_1.JPG
says

These are new aftermarket engine & trans mounts for a 1998-2000 Ford Contour & Mercury Mystique with a 2.0 & 2.5 engine & automatic trans. These fit on the front center of the car near the radiator, the rear by the firewall & the top on drivers side.

So I'm guessing one is missing

Those are the transmission mount and the two roll restrictor inserts, probably from Pioneer (www.pioneerautoinc.com). FWIW, their own catalog has errors in the Contour section....

The Engine mount is not available aftermarket that I've found. I've also not run into a single report of a failure of the engine mount itself.

BTW, I installed one of those transmission mounts, it collapsed withing six months....tranny is back to resting on the subframe again...

Steve

got them in mail yesterday going install them next weekend they are made by westar says on them made in thailand hopefully they work well

Is there a proper way to install engine mount?

Is there a proper way to install engine mount?

sorry for hijack this post.
i have 99 contour 2L, ATX. The problem that i have was when i shift the car to drive the whole engine block will shift forward and put the car to reverse, the whole engine block will shift backward. I installed engine mount about a year ago, tranny mount about 6 months ago and the 2 rolls register about 2 week apart as of today, but the problem is still there.
Is there a procedure for me to install the mounts the right way? As the engine has to sit on the roll registers when tighten the bolts of the engine and tranny mount. i still have some kind of vibrations when car in gear with or without a/c on.
your helps is very much appreciated because i tried so hard to fix this vibration problem.
thanks in advance

I know I've had trouble with replacement motor/trans mounts vibrating in the past. I don't think aftermarket ones are as good as the factory ones. Those types of rubber are made to damp out vibrations in certain ranges, the factory will spend MILLIONS to perfect their setup. Aftermarket only concerned with providing a part that can bolt up to your car, many times a part that looks great will produce vibration that old factory one didn't. Anchor brand comes to mind here as a troublesome one, not pliable rubber, more like a soft plastic, they suck. Having said that, contours are supposed to have a special dealer tool "powertrain alignment tool" to bolt in place of the front radiator area mount. Then the others are installed, that tool removed (it took the place of the front roll restrictor), and front roll restrictor bolted in. I know that when done, all centers of mounts should be pretty much centered in the part they bolt up to. The center should not be way off to one side and the rubber should not be squished all out of shape on one side. You may have to loosen other mounts and jack motor/trans up/down, sideways to get them all pretty close to the middle. Make sure any metal part of the mount does not come close enough to mounting area so that flexing allows it to touch metal to metal. Have seen a funky designed mount to where had to grind off part of metal to provide clearance, mount was made to fit more than one application.

thanks, amc49. Haynes repair manual did mention that special tool when the engine got removed and replaced. as long as, the roll restrictors change one by one then it is OK. anyway, i think i just might have to adjust the mounts as you suggested. thanks again.

Once you get all mounts bolted in, you again go around and check them to make sure nothing looks twisted or warped out of shape. A small amount of deformation OK, after all there's a motor resting on them. Loosening them back up one at a time and then retightening is the so-called "normalizing" thing Ford speaks of. You're letting the mount find its' preferred state, where it will dampen the best. Sometimes I just loosen one, raise load in that area up with a jack to unload it some, and take a big screwdriver/crow bar and just jiggle mount around to let it find its' place. Retighten. Name of the game to make sure mount not wound up or twisted at all, except for where engine/trans weight loads push straight down.

I have also replaced my front motor mount and the transmission mount with Anchor parts. The transmission mount is bad again just like a previous poster had stated. It failed within three months of its replacement. Is there a quality part out there as the dealer has discontinued them? Is pioneer better then Anchor?

Holy ••••e Batman. That dealer is raping you on price. I called a local dealer and found one for $46.00 my cost list was $79.00.

Hey bro,

How about just filling the new mounts with polyurethane. I have done it as well as other members ..They have 3 different mixes for the mixture..Soft (close to factory,minimal to no cab vibration) , Medium(one that I got..vibration in cab but I don't mind it ) , Hard(lots of vibration..racing and such).. I don't remember the website but I can find it if you are interested

The engine and trans def. roll a lot less

It seems to me BAT has the transmission mount as well as both roll restrictors for sale. Have these proven reliable? I believe they sell the insert as well to stiffen up the roll-restrictors. I am in need of a set and am a believer in Ford parts but if the BAT ones are good, they are probably cheaper. Any comments?

Back