• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

problem

ford zetec2

CEG'er
when I start my contour it runs for 20 sec. and it and it jerks dies. but when I start it up again it runs fine. when I move it blogs and jerks in 1st gear and the same in second and 3rd 4th and 5th it rides. I thinking its the fuel componets but, I change the fuel filter 2 mons. ago and my fuel pump is still work good and I just got a fuel pressure reg. out of a junkyard so that improve it better because yesterday I tryd to move and it was just bloging soon as I press the gas. so, i'm trying to get rid of the bloging problem so I can start winning races.

but, hey when I'm driving it jerks then blog and start popping in the intake filter when I give it more gas, then it will catch on with speed.

Check/clean/change IAC valve, MAF sensor, clean Throttle body and change air filter.

In addition check Spark Plug wiring order.

Zetec I-4 Spark Plug wiring order

Firewall
Engine 1 2 3 4 ... Coil 1 3
Radiator ............. ....4 2

Spark Plug gap 0.050 inch

Read this
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ld=1year&Main=1194933&Search=true#Post1194939

Last edited:
firing order on pre98s are totally differnet.

Where did you get your incorrect information from?

I got my information from the 1996 Ford CD manual and Haynes Manual (based on 1995 Mondeo).

Edit. FYI, the Mitchell On-Demand wiring order is wrong. I suspect that is where you got the incorrect information from.

Last edited:
Where did you get your incorrect information from?

I got my information from the 1996 Ford CD manual and Haynes Manual (based on 1995 Mondeo).

Edit. FYI, the Mitchell On-Demand wiring order is wrong. I suspect that is where you got the incorrect information from.
both of my cars are wired like what i mentioned above... both came like that when I got them.

On reading more into it, I guess your (Mitchell's) way of numbering is acceptable too.

If it is a wastefire system and then if the coil firing 1-4, and then 3-2 (each pair at the same time), and with the firing order of 1-3-4-2, then Mitchells is the same as Fords.

A little confusing but acceptable too.

Check your 02 censors. I had a similar problem. Do you have a CEL??? My O2 was bad and once I changed it everything was back to normal.

the throttle body might be catching if you see a decrease in power.. mine did that for a while until I blew a piston trying to slam the gas to get it going.. gl with that bro.!

Back