• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need fast answer on head removal

IRingTwyce

I ROCK at bumper cars!
Graham, TX: a place so nice, they rob your house t
Does the timing belt tensioning pully have to be removed to get the head off?? The stupid Chilton's manual doesn't specify. Also, I can't get the damn head to budge, and I've removed all other bolts holding it in place. Suggestions for knocking this thing loose? The tensioning pulley is pretty much the only thing left I can think of that might be holding the head in place.

idk about breaking the head loose. you could put one of the manifolds on it with just a few bolts and then pull on the manifold. that would get you something to hold onto and some leverage.

BTW what tool is it for those retarded headbolts. i know its a huge allen key but what size is it?

T-55 Torx. I finally found a long-throw T-55 that would squeeze past the camshaft for the inner six bolts. Unfortunately I could have saved myself the trouble and the $15 for the set, as I'm going to have to pull the camshafts anyway since the bolts themselves won't clear, and they have to be replaced with new bolts. **sigh** This is getting worse and worse with every step.

T-55 Torx. I finally found a long-throw T-55 that would squeeze past the camshaft for the inner six bolts. Unfortunately I could have saved myself the trouble and the $15 for the set, as I'm going to have to pull the camshafts anyway since the bolts themselves won't clear, and they have to be replaced with new bolts. **sigh** This is getting worse and worse with every step.

'Scuse me, but you can extract all the bolts as far as you can, then lift the head up an inch or so, then unscrew them the rest of the way. Easy.

yeah but like he said you have to replace them anyways and since you cant pull them out with the cams in you might as well take the cams out while the head is still bolted down.

Just to state the obvious, you did remove the sparkplugs right? (actually i don't remember if they go all the way through on the tour...) Also, if you have an engine crane available, you could lift it off, if not, do the manifold technique.

caleb d.

Back