• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Setting timing on an '00 - exhaust never lines up?

ButtonPuncher

Veteran CEG'er
OK, Ive read through the FAQ, and my service manual. I think that I'm following all of the steps properly. Here's my worry...

I get everything tightened up and check that the locking bar still goes in. I then turn the engine over twice (turn the crank four revolutions). No matter what, the exhaust cam is always a little off. BUT when I take a wrench and manually advance the cam, it stops in the right position. (So that the bar can slide in both ends.)

Am I setting it right? I'm guessing that it is always off because of the VCT.

:confused:

BP

No, I don't think so. I can push down on the belt between the top of the two cam gears and it barely flexes. Also, the tensioner notch is centered on the mark. That brings up another question...

While I'm turning the engine over by hand, the tensioner notch doesn't stay centered on the mark. It wavers a little. I've got the bolt torqued down to 20ft/lbs and it is centered on the mark when at TDC.

Thanks,
BP

I just don't get it then. The exhaust cam never lines up without me manually turning the cam that extra little bit.

The tensioner has this little piece of metal on the back of it. When you have it set to the right tension, the notch in the piece of metal lines up with a mark on the block.

Should it be easy to turn the exhaust cam a few degrees either way while the exhaust gear is stationary? I can turn it pretty easily and there is this squishing sound from the VCT area.

If not, I wonder if the previous owner screwed up the VCT mechanism.

BP

I could pull the wrench with my pinky finger. About as much effort as putting my MTX-75 with 175k on it into gear. I should post a little video.

The previous owner also broke a little chunk out of the end of the exhaust cam. I wonder if they were forcing stuff and messed up the VCT.

I think I'm going to get a leakdown tester to rule out the messed up timing. That way I can set the piston at TDC and rock the cams back and forth to get the highest reading.

BP

I could pull the wrench with my pinky finger. About as much effort as putting my MTX-75 with 175k on it into gear. I should post a little video.

The previous owner also broke a little chunk out of the end of the exhaust cam. I wonder if they were forcing stuff and messed up the VCT.

I think I'm going to get a leakdown tester to rule out the messed up timing. That way I can set the piston at TDC and rock the cams back and forth to get the highest reading.

BP
Well this is what I would do. Put it all together. Make sure to put the plug wires on the right cylinders. Start it up. IF the engine is done.......you will have to replace it anyway. So if anything does mess up......oh well.

:shrug:

That's what is going to happen. I've already found a '00 Focus Zetec a few miles away with only 17,000 miles on it for $400.

I'd still like to figure out the whole timing thing.

...actually the Focus Zetecs went back to an EGR setup. I wonder if I even want to screw with swapping heads or just go VCT-less. Hmmmmm.....

BP

Back