• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

can you clean the egr valve?

There is no such code that says that. EGR valves rarely fail anyway.

Start over. Take the fault code and plug it into the SEARCH tool to see if there are previous conversations about it. Ask for help on anything you don't understand.

Most EGR codes (95%+) on Contours result from either clogged throttle body ports or bad DPFE sensors.

Steve

There is no such code that says that. EGR valves rarely fail anyway.

Start over. Take the fault code and plug it into the SEARCH tool to see if there are previous conversations about it. Ask for help on anything you don't understand.

Most EGR codes (95%+) on Contours result from either clogged throttle body ports or bad DPFE sensors.

The Zetec engines are not equipped with an EGR valve are they?? They also don't generally suffer from the clogged EGR passeges problem.

I'd like to know specifically what code you got on one of your Zetecs, contourfreak22...

The 1995 through 1997 Zetecs have an EGR valve. 1998+ uses the VCT system instead.

When I started getting codes on my 1996 Zetec indicating trouble with the EGR valve, I took the valve out and cleaned it up as well as I possibly could. This solved the problem for a few months, then it came back again. I figured that as much trouble as it was to get the valve out and back, I wasn't going to go through all that again just to clean the old one. Second time, I bought a new EGR valve, and installed it. That was several years ago, and I haven't had any trouble with it since then. I think I paid about $80 back then for the new EGR valve.

ZetecEGR.jpg

Attachments

• ZetecEGR.jpg
    ZetecEGR.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
Back