• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing Belt Stripped Teeth

pbullis

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I am nearly half-way through the timing belt replacement on a 1998 Contour (thanks to BrApple's post-98 instructions!). The timing belt had about 12 teeth in a row that were stripped out and eventually which kept the engine from starting. I had originally had the rough idle which I am now sure was due to the teeth issue.

When I get to the point of lining the crank to top dead center, I see that the cam notches at the back do not quite line up parallel with the top of the head to get the alignment tool in. Even if I get one to line up, the other is still off by a tooth or so which is probably due to the cam slipping after the teeth started to go.

1) Once I remove the timing belt, should try and line up the two cams so I can slip the alignment tool in? I did not see this scenario documented in the procedure, but I am sure it's pretty common when the teeth strip. Most instructions assumed these notches were even.

2) Does one rotation of each camshaft match TDC as long as the notches line up, or is there a possibility that I am off by more than one rotation of the cam shaft? If so, how can I check that I am on the right rotation?

I appreciate the help! Thanks!

The cam alignment tool will only go in one way. After you get it to TDC and take your old belt off, use a wrench to turn the cam a little so you can get it in. There is a place on the cam for a wrench. Also sent you a PM.

The cam alignment tool will only go in one way. After you get it to TDC and take your old belt off, use a wrench to turn the cam a little so you can get it in. There is a place on the cam for a wrench. Also sent you a PM.

Good call.

Exactly the scenario I had - stripped belt & everything. Car had 128K and was on the original belt.

Back