• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT Gas Gas Mileage

csvt2200

Veteran CEG'er
I was just wondering what everyones CSVT gets for mileage on a tank of gas... I know it all depends on how much "In Town", "Highway" and "How nice" you drive your car, but on average how many miles do you guys get on a tank? I am getting around 230 miles on a tank but all my miles are "In Town"...

Forget the "tank". Fill up. Reset trip odometer, drive, fill up. Check gallons consumed, miles (kms) driven. Do it for a few times for consistency.

My 1996 ATX V6 gets about 15-18 City/22-26 Highway very "consistently".

even with a heavy foot I get around 26 on the freeway!!! (that is with a 3L/Turbo)
I average about 18-22 mixed driving. Stock SVT should get around 22-26, driving styles and locations considered.

I'm getting 26-27mpg as of now. I usually peak in the spring/early summer around 28-29mpg. I've hit 33/34mpg a few times. :drool:

I'd say I'm doing 90% highway/10% city driving. This is on a V6 atx.

I'm pretty stubborn with my driving habbits. Put it simply, I drive like grandpa: Maintain 60-65mph, engine brake, and slow acceleration from a stop. My friends make fun of my driving, but at $2.80-$2.90/gallon, I really don't care! :shrug:

With 83k+ miles, I really can't complain as I'm getting better than EPA ratings on the car brand new. Also, I plan to do another UIM/LIM cleaning this summer as it has been 2 years since I last did it.

IMHO fuel economy is due to three factors: The most important being driving habits. Secondly, fuel quality: Some dispute it, but I find that BP usually yields better fuel economy for my car. In some cases, I've had drastic delta factors of 5/6mpg just b/c of the fuel station. Of course this can be subjective since the local stations that yielded poor fuel economy may not be up to their maintenance records. Thirdly, maintenance of the vehicle itself.

i got 25 mpg the last time I filled up.... its always been about 23-24 or so for me and my SVT... I've been hoping for more but I think I have a really bad lead foot which sucks at +3.00 a gallon for premium.

Driving normally for me, I get about 22 mpg highway. Now if I put it on cruise at 65 or 70, I'm up to 26 mpg. Gas prices suck! I am so tired of getting screwed by the :censored: oil companies!

IMHO fuel economy is due to three factors: The most important being driving habits. Secondly, fuel quality: .

I could not agree with you more. With my old zetec tour I would sruggle to get any more then 24 mpg. All of my friends would be like "I bet you get good gas mileage" and I wouldn't even be topping their 3800 powered Buicks. I always went to speedway because I have one of their reward cards, so I tried some BP for a couple of fill ups and my mileage sky rocked to about 26-28. from that point on I stopped using Speedway gas, My old corolla would only get 26 mpg on speedway gas, but if I put anything else in I would rocket into the 34 MPG range.

i got 320 my last fill up. The light just came on and I put in 12 gallons. So, that is about 27 mpg. About 200 of that was freeway at 75 mph and the rest was mainly town driving and a decent amount of spirited driving to get a feel for it since I just bought it. My 95 on the other had would get about 250 tank.

I can get about 230 miles on my untuned 3L. I drive about 85-90% freeway doing 80+MPH most of the time. I shifted @ 2.5K for 2 tanks of gas and got 20mpg, I've given up.

My car will usually do about 250mi before the gas light comes on with all city driving which is exactly 20mpg. On the highway doing a constant 70mph it'll do 28mpg but that's rare.

I-85 going to Atlanta to Auburn is usually empty so I'll do around 85mph the whole trip. My mpg goes down to about 25-26mpg at those speeds.

I got 206 miles on the last "full" tank, but then again someone stole my last 1/3 of a tank. I have been averaging about 280 miles to the tank.

:shocked: And you drive what again? A Honda!?!? Damn that's hella good!

If they had put a 16 or 17 gallon tank in the SVT, we would be seeing better than that! Just so happens that we have a tiny tank... On the highway doing 85MPH, I would get about 250 miles to 1/4 when I would stop to fill it up. Averaged around 25-27MPG.

"Miles to the tank" means squat... Suburbans and Excursions will go 400-500 miles on a tank. Just so happens that they have something like 50 gallon tanks!

Last edited:
Anybody worrying about your contour not getting good gas mileage, never buy a rx7. Mine has like a 18 gallon tank and the svt will still go further on a fill up. And my rx7 would be lucky to run in the 16s in the 1/4. Not sure the exact mileage my svt will go but it was pretty good on trips considering how I drive. I gotta fix some things and it'll be good again.

i get 300 miles to the tank in my SVT CC set at 85 on the highway...with about 10% city driving....highest I ever got was 393 on a full tank all highway CC set at 80....comparable gas mileage to my sisters honda w/ 150k miles on it...and I don't granny shift..(usually around 3k regular)

Back