• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Has anyone wrestled with this.....

BradfordScales

New CEG'er
I have a '97 Bi Fuel (CNG or Gasoline) Zetec Contour. Being a Bi Fuel car has little to do with this post.

I had posted awhile back about a compression loss I had in the outboard cylinders and I have isolated it to leakage at the valves. My research has revealed a sticking valve condition that Ford has tried to fix with a "Special" oil and a directive to rev the engine over 4000 rpm on a regular basis to alliviate this condition.

I imagine the valve seating surface and head seats are contaminated and deteriorated enough that at least a surfacing and seat job are needed to bring cylinder pressures back to spec.

Anyone deal with and been tasked with pulling the head for this? Any advice or ideas??

Bradford

Grandma's, I normally shift betweek 4-5k per day. I've read a lot of things about the valves sticking if driven about 4k RPM when I was looking at buying one, but that isn't really a problem for most.

Back