• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

DFW metroplex - need repair help

afc98

New CEG'er
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and my '98 Contour is stock, so I don't know if anyone would be interested in helping, but here's the deal:

I have another car, so thankfully I'm not in a bind for transportation, but I'm wanting to get the Contour repaired for our daughter when she comes back to visit soon. My husband is dealing with serious health issues and he's not able to work on the car, and money is very tight right now.

We took it to a shop a few weeks ago and they said it's a timing issue - specifically, code 1383, and will cost around $800. We had just spent $350 to have the AC fixed, and it needed to be inspected but the light came on, so we couldn't get it inspected because we couldn't get the repairs done.

Is there anybody here who could do the repair for a lot less? If so, we won't need it back for at least a couple of weeks, so you could work at your convenience and until we get the funds and then we could pick it up.
If anybody can do this or know someone who can, please post or PM me as soon as possible. We'd sure appreciate it - times are kinda tough for us right now.

Thanks much.

If money is that tight then before repairing try disconecting your battery to reset the light. If light stays off you will then need to drive car approx 20 miles varying speeds and conditions before it can be inspected. If works get it inspected asap as light will surely come back on before too long.

You could have slack in your timing belt due to age. Either that or your VCT solenoid is bad. My money would be on the timing belt for an 11 year old car. Especially if it has never been changed. Might as well replace the water pump while you are in there. Get a Haynes manual and some tools. Should chew up the most part of a Saturday.

Back