• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0 taurus engine

sportracer

CEG'er
I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between a Taurus engine and a escape engine. I am thinking about doing a 3.0 swap and I found a 3.0 Taurus for 500 and a 3.0 escape for 650. What would you guys go with?

oil pan in escape is better. you would want to change the taurus one anyways. im not sure what else is different but they are close to the same. others will chime in soon.....

I am thinking of doing 3.0 with internals and turbo because i want to get 300+ hp. With this info what engine would you get? Since most of the parts are going to be svt parts, if I read the forums right, this will give me the most hp.

I am thinking of doing 3.0 with internals and turbo because i want to get 300+ hp. With this info what engine would you get? Since most of the parts are going to be svt parts, if I read the forums right, this will give me the most hp.

Get an 01+ Escape 3.0L. Its been shown to produce 400 whp on a stock bottom end. If you want a turbo kit, PM me. Im selling my T3/T4 ADC turbo kit which is in the classifieds.

I'm not 100% certain, but I've been told that unless you plan to remove the heads you're better to get the Escape motor due to the cast bracket which is attached to the block and used for the RH upper mount. Apparently it's the same on the Escape (as the 2.5's) and different on the Taurus. Removing it requires having 1 cylinder head seperated from the block.

I did Aaron's (SVT Snob) 3.0 conversion and yes indeed we left the timing chain cover alone and simply used an Escape serpentine belt with no issues whatsoever. The Escape timing chain cover eliminates the idler pulley which eventually needs replacing (due to bearing failure). Now I have seen other supposed Escape timing chain covers which were different so it's possible that Ford made a change somewhere along the way. Aaron's motor was from an 03 Escape as verified by the broadcast code sticker on the LH valve cover.

Last edited:
The turbo is the last thing on my list, I need to start working on my 3L and many other mods to my car. By the time im done with this you guys will either be like Holy Sh%& or thats ugly. But I think in the end youll all like it cuz it will be simple and elegant and not over done like many of those ricers out there.

Where are you guys finding complete used engines for so cheap? I'm in the Kansas City area and have no idea where a reputable junk man can be found.

will 04+ years work for this 3L swap? i know even the 06 and 07 duratecs are close to the same, but can they be used for our swaps?

will 04+ years work for this 3L swap? i know even the 06 and 07 duratecs are close to the same, but can they be used for our swaps?
The vets will correct me if I'm wrong,but no.The new duratec design is no longer a ford designed motor.The new duratecs are based on mazda designs.Atleast that's what I have been led to believe.

Not trying to steal the thread but has anyone used the 01 escape timing cover? I was planning on using the 2.5L for mine but if the 01 works then that would be great!

Well I'm going out to the junkyard tomorrow to look at the 3.0 Taurus's. He said 150 for a core motor. Depending on how it got hit, it might still run, which is the least of my concerns since I'm tearing it down to the block and building up with performance internals. But anyways he also said there were alot of 99+'s out there so if this is true and anyone wants one let me know ill pull it for you. All you have to do is pay the 150 or what it costs for the motor and alittle bit extra for pulling since it isn't the easiest thing.

FWIW having a running motor will save you in the long run unless you plan on getting a custom crankshaft done up too. Even then if the motor doesn't run you're still taking a huge risk of having something damaged inside and having to get repair work done on the block before you can use it.

Last edited:
The vets will correct me if I'm wrong,but no.The new duratec design is no longer a ford designed motor.The new duratecs are based on mazda designs.Atleast that's what I have been led to believe.

I'm not sure what you mean. The current 3.0 six cylinder is nearly the same as it has always been with only minor alterations. The 2.3 that four cylinder that is also called a Duratec is a Mazda design.

I'm not sure what you mean. The current 3.0 six cylinder is nearly the same as it has always been with only minor alterations. The 2.3 that four cylinder that is also called a Duratec is a Mazda design.

Maybe he's thinkin' of the D35...?

Anyway, the 06 & 07 3.0L engines should work just fine too.

Well I'm going out to the junkyard tomorrow to look at the 3.0 Taurus's. He said 150 for a core motor. Depending on how it got hit, it might still run, which is the least of my concerns since I'm tearing it down to the block and building up with performance internals. But anyways he also said there were alot of 99+'s out there so if this is true and anyone wants one let me know ill pull it for you. All you have to do is pay the 150 or what it costs for the motor and alittle bit extra for pulling since it isn't the easiest thing.

Usually core motors are bad motors people bring back to salvage yards to get there core charge back. If you want a running motor I'd stay away from those if that is what they are. They wouldn't be in a car though so maybe that isn't what they mean by "core motor".

Maybe he's thinkin' of the D35...?

Anyway, the 06 & 07 3.0L engines should work just fine too.
The 2.5/3.0L Duratec V6 engine is Ford designed. The 2.0L/2.3L 4V 4-cylinder Duratec is Mazda designed. The new 3.5L 4v V6 Duratec is Ford designed but I believe Mazda is involved in design responsibility for the 3.7L version.

Back