• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spark plug

Augi

CEG'er
I'm having trouble with a small misfire. I have used Autolite plugs and they weren't worth anything. The Motorcraft platinums started the mis fire, I changd them to NGK platinums and the mis went away, but after a short while, I developed a leak, fixed that, then put in some Bosche platinum 2 plugs and the mis is hardly noticeable, but its there. Can anyone help me?

I changd them to NGK platinums and the mis went away, but after a short while, I developed a leak, fixed that, then put in some Bosche platinum 2 plugs and the mis is hardly noticeable, but its there.

First thing I'd do is check the wires. If you didn't change them with the plugs, change them now, take the distributor cap and rotor (if you have one) and give it a good cleaning, other than that:

- head gasket prob, maybe coolant sneacks in; - the plug has an ash look to it or it looks like corrosion.
- burning oil; - I never had that one but I'm guessing black and oilly plug.
- limited air to fuel ratio for combustion for that cylinder - the plug looks really black.

a short while, I developed a leak,

leaking what?

But from now on, stick with the plugs recommended and top of the line platinums. Cheap parts aren't always the best parts.

Cheers.

leaking what?

But from now on, stick with the plugs recommended and top of the line platinums. Cheap parts aren't always the best parts.

Cheers.
Wires are brand new MSD Super Conductors, Coil is also MSD. The problem really was just with the Motorcraft and the NGK plugs and believe me, none of the plugs I bought are cheap. NGK is $9 per plug and the Motorcraft are $6 per. Autolite, like I said, sucks, and the Bosche are $2 per and it seems like they are the ones that helped the best.

The leak that I formed was actually in the Valve Cover gasket into the plug chambers (and yes, they are oily when that happens).

I guess what I"m really asking is What are the besat plugs for the pre '98 Zetec?

honestly i have never had a problem with my autolite double plats :shrug:

Last edited:
Wires are brand new MSD Super Conductors, Coil is also MSD. The problem really was just with the Motorcraft and the NGK plugs and believe me, none of the plugs I bought are cheap. NGK is $9 per plug and the Motorcraft are $6 per. Autolite, like I said, sucks, and the Bosche are $2 per and it seems like they are the ones that helped the best.

The leak that I formed was actually in the Valve Cover gasket into the plug chambers (and yes, they are oily when that happens).

I guess what I"m really asking is What are the besat plugs for the pre '98 Zetec?

It looks like you are using the good plugs and wires afterall. The ones you have right now are fine, top of the line.

Did you check your distribution cap and rotor (if you have one)? Maybe that particular plug isn't getting power all the time, rotor may be loose or worn out.

Other than that, I think there is a possibility that your fuel injector for that particular cylinder may be faulty.

How many clicks on the engine? do you see white fumes for exhaust? Maybe there is a Cam problem, piston rings may not work well or may be worn out, and your engine burns oil; how is your oil pressure like? Do you hear knocking when the engine idles (and it's warmed up)?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Alright guys, here's the deal.

On the Zetec, because it fires the spark twice per cycle or something to that nature, they REQUIRE at least platinum spark plugs. They came with Motorcraft platinums. Autolite and Motorcraft are almost identical, seeing as they're made in the same factory right next to each other, so either Motorcraft/Autolite platinum or double platinums will work fine.

NGK makes some pretty nice plugs and 02 sensors. I had a set of NGK Laser Platinum R's in my old Mystique, and they ran very nicely.

Don't, I repeat DON'T use Bosch products. I tried the plugs AND wires on my Mystique, and got nothing but trouble from them. Stay away.

I have no experience with Champion or Splitfire, but I've heard some somewhat negative feedback. Be wary.

Where on earth are you guys getting this "bad Autolite and NGK" garbage from? It's a well known fact that Motorcraft(autolite) and NGK are high-quality ignition parts manufacturers. Bosch is the one who sucks, and I say that from extensive personal experience with the brand. Did I mention their wipers and filters suck too?

Also, btw, the Zetec doesn't have a distributer. It uses an electronically controlled epoxy-resin coil pack.

Oh yeah, that valve cover gasket likes to leak over time. Easy to replace when you've done it a couple times like me.lol
HTH

I'm having better luck out of Bosch and NGK then Motorcraft/ Autolite, I just don't have the money to replace back to NGK. BTW, Champion does suck I don't even use them in my lawnmower. The gasket only takes me 15 minutes to change now.

Also, btw, the Zetec doesn't have a distributer. It uses an electronically controlled epoxy-resin coil pack.

hehe...I still have to take the front end apart this summer to learn it.

I have no experience with Champion or Splitfire, but I've heard some somewhat negative feedback. Be wary.

I used Champions Platinum on my previous car, '98 Dodge Stratus, and they worked wonders.

Check the wires and ignition coil for correct resistence.
Autolite and Ford DB Plats are the correct choice.
Do you have a CEL for a miss-fire??
How is your O2 sensor?
Also, clean the MAF and IAT sensors as well.:cool:

Back