• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

mechanics labor quote... sound right?

Sudzy

CEG'er
Hi everyone.

Terrible noises coming from back of my car! at 119,000 miles and with original struts...I figured that was pretty much the cause...I have the mounts/boots/ struts/ and 2 sway bar end links....

Just to install mechanic said 3/4 hrs. price would be 200. to 250.00 does that sound about right? This mec. has an excellent reputation and all his work is guaranteed. But yikes.....

Also, asked to drain tranny fluid and fill....$100.00 ?

Thanking you in advance for caring.....Sudz

thanks...that was quick...it's a 97 GL; Sport automatic. (I need to do front end next! Only had car few months...don't think it had much regular maintance...)

The mech needs to drain and fill the the tranny 3 times to do a good fluid exchange. Steer him him to this site, do not do a power flush.

That is a lot of money lol......im glad i change my own springs and struts and drain and fill my own fluids,i never new it cost that much to do that,,sounds like firestone prices they rip peoples wallets open and straight jack you lol.....

the cost of labor on the rear struts sounds reasonable. Just remember that a book tells them how long something takes to R/R and generally the cost as well. If he were to take 4 hours well he still only gets paid the $200, If he did it in 30 mins he would get payed $200. this is how good mechanics make good money. I am not sure if things still work this way but that was how it was like 6 years ago.

the cost of labor on the rear struts sounds reasonable. Just remember that a book tells them how long something takes to R/R and generally the cost as well. If he were to take 4 hours well he still only gets paid the $200, If he did it in 30 mins he would get payed $200. this is how good mechanics make good money. I am not sure if things still work this way but that was how it was like 6 years ago.

thats exactly how it works. the customer is quoted and pays what is referred to as book time (these days its not usually a book but a program like AllData, the term is left over from when it was though) no matter how long it takes the tech to do the job.

as far as price, for 3 to 4 hours work thats actually a pretty good deal as that is about $65/hr. around here, most shops charge about $80+/hr (no that doesnt all go to the tech, most of that goes to overhead costs)

My labor source says 2.9 hours, which we usually round up. So 3 hours at $76.00 per hour and tax would be $241.68 at my shop. If you're near PA, drive over to my shop and i'll do it for ya for 125 :D

. If you're near PA, drive over to my shop and i'll do it for ya for 125 :D

Would love to. But won't make it that far with this car. I'm in central IL. :) But, hey it was sure nice of you to make the offer.

This mechanice seems to go by actual time. He said it usually takes him 1 1/2 per side,,,so that 3 hrs. He gets 59 per hr. He said, so that close to 200. he said , don't know what he'd run into...Then said. No matter what ,,,no more than $ 250. labor. He did me/us a hugh favor today. I battered a oil change (i supply everything)from my neighbor, he'd do the work.
The plug nut was in so tight that this guy could not get it out. So he called his mec. and the guy said sure, bring it in. I'll get it out --ten bucks. So he got a good look see under my car. Now, I don't know too much about it, (ok nothing) but it looked terrible...Rusty...peeling...one section ..underneath had bondo all over it....I dunno. We'll see what I've got my self into.

Bad thing, in this respect, I'm in small town, surrounded by small towns. Options quit limited. Oh, there's plenty of backyard shadetree drinking mechanics. But this are my suspension..
Hey, ya'll thanks for all the replys. :)

The mech needs to drain and fill the the tranny 3 times to do a good fluid exchange. Steer him him to this site, do not do a power flush.

Yeah..Marky thanks ..I read that no flushes. I'm high milage and don't know if it's ever been flushed! It is red on the tranny dipstick though.. Three fills. Dang. That adds up..

Yeah..Marky thanks ..I read that no flushes. I'm high milage and don't know if it's ever been flushed! It is red on the tranny dipstick though.. Three fills. Dang. That adds up..

If I am not mistaken, he means drain 3 qts, add 3 qts, drive for a bit. drain 3 qts, add 3 qts, drive for a bit. Repeat one more time.

The torque converter holds the majority of the fluid, and only a small amount (3 qts mentioned above is off of memory) escapes when the "plug" is removed. Old and new fluid is mixing and draining until really fresh fluid is mixed in and left. Hope this makes sense.

Its not a terribly expensive ordeal. Consult the owners guide for fluid ... IIRC, its Mercon 4 (IV)

I would change your rear shocks for 40 bucks total but im in Texas lol Im about to change mine out real soon my rears are blown from being dropped

Ok. about the tranny fluid...I understand now..Think I can get my son to do that....thanks all for your input :)

Back