• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rusted filler neck

clewis

New CEG'er
This might be the end of the line for my '98 Mystique. The vent pipe on the fuel filler neck has rusted through to the point where a lot of gas drips out when I fill the tank. My mechanic says that Ford has stopped making this part and his sources can't find one. He says that all the ones in junkyards are rusted out too, which makes me think this isn't an uncommon problem. And yet I can't find any other posts about this. It seems like such a minor problem compared with so many of the other ones posted here. Anyone know of a solution for this problem?

98 Mystique
Duratec 2.5 L, ATX
135,000 miles

Check the classifieds for someone parting out a car, you will find one. The necks are different in certain years because of the gas tank shape. It is a pain in the butt to change but it is cheaper than buying a different car. If most of the car in in good shape, I would fix it.....

Oh yeah, welcome back old tymer!

You got my vote for lowest post count for the oldest member!

I was selling a filler neck in the classifieds but I think I threw it out now. I have to go and look today.

I know CSVT1339 is parting out a 98 SVT right now. I'm sure he still has the fuel tank, not a very common part to sell. I would PM him and let him know your interested.

If this is all it will take to save this car somebody should be able to help. Where in the rust belt are you and how bad is the rest of the car rust wise:shrug:

Have you tried sourcing one from a cougar? Not sure how different they are but I've personally found alot of junk yards have no clue how many parts are the same on the mystique/cougar/tour

I have a filler neck from a '99 SVT. Not sure if it is the same, but you could give it a shot. PM me for more details if you want it.

If this is all it will take to save this car somebody should be able to help. Where in the rust belt are you and how bad is the rest of the car rust wise:shrug:

I'm in Cleveland, OH. The car has a few rust problems, but a replacement filler neck should keep it going for a while.

Back