• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Those darn squeaky rear doors! problem solved

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
Rear door lube

The best stuff ever…. (well so far for the rear door squeak issue)
GUNK plumber’s silicone grease! Part No. GR2V.

Waterproof, heatproof to 400*, nontoxic, non flammable, and nonstaining.

It’s FDA approved.

Contains some of my favorite substances like:
Polydimethylsiloxane/63148629, Dimethyl Siloxane, Hydroxyterminated/70131678, Silica, and of course Amorphous Fumed/7631869. It just don’t get any better than that!

Seems to work great and doesn’t make a visible mess as other lubes do. All for $3.36 at Lowe’s…

Regards,
AF

I have tried alot of stuff that all works good at first and wears off after a few days or weeks. I'll give this stuff a try!

White lithium grease baby. Did it when i got her in july and i can still open those doors quieter than a ninja.

wow i didnt know everyone else had this problem. so whats the technique of puttin it on, just soak it from all sides? or do you gotta like work it in there.

wow i didnt know everyone else had this problem. so whats the technique of puttin it on, just soak it from all sides? or do you gotta like work it in there.

I just cleaned the old crud off with a bit of Lacquer Thinner. Then took my finger and wiped a small amount on the arm. It doesn't take much just a light coating on the top and bottom. At first there was still a hint of a squeak, but after 4 o/c's it stopped and is as smooth as butter. Now even the wind closes it.

BTW EVERYONE has the problem.

AF

i usually just use some anti-seize stuff or twister i also have this "foaming" grease which works the best ... and at a price of .25 cents a can for me cant beat the price

i usually just use some anti-seize stuff or twister i also have this "foaming" grease which works the best ... and at a price of .25 cents a can for me cant beat the price

I am sure there are many things that work for this. The advantage here is this is about as non messy as you can get. I just don't like opening the door and seeing a gob of grease there. My 95 had a real mess of white lithium grease in that area on all four doors when I got it. This stuff is real close to clear when applied. Also very little is needed. That's why I said this is the best stuff. I expect the small amount I got will last for years.

They also seem much smoother, I have never had the doors swing so easy, a real difference.

AF

Last edited:
I've been using silicone grease from Wal-Mart on all the vehicles at my house. Once it's applied, I never hear a sound from the doors again.

WD-40 needed to be applied almost monthly.

I'm really suprised at how many people have this problem but couldn't solve it on their own. :shrug:

I'm really suprised at how many people have this problem but couldn't solve it on their own. :shrug:

I'm sure lots of folks have some sort of solution, some are just better than others. However there are a lot of folks that just never figured it out, or new Tour owners, etc. I've even seen some vetran tour owners struggle with it.

Back