• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What's the easiest way to test a coil pack?

Autozone link to test coil pack.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/c4/02/0900823d801bc402.jsp

Check if there is power to the PCM by turning on the ignition to on, the CEL should come on for a few seconds. If it doesn't, there is no power going to the PCM. Also check ignition and main power fuses in the Power Distribution Box next the the battery.

Make sure the connectors are in tight for the ignition coil, Camshaft Position Sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Last edited:
Ok. I tested the primary winding and it came back within the norm at .7 ohms. When I tried testing the secondary winding, the readout stayed at the default 1.0. I'm thinking there was something wrong with how I tested it, or the multi-meter, because even if the pack is bad, I SHOULD still be getting SOME reading besides 1.0, correct??

Went back out and re-tested the secondary winding. Had the switch on the wrong setting, and wasn't making good contact. Anyway, the coil pack is good. Secondary tested at 12.85 and 12.9.

Check if there is power to the PCM by turning on the ignition to on, the CEL should come on for a few seconds. If it doesn't, there is no power going to the PCM. Also check ignition and main power fuses in the Power Distribution Box next the the battery.

Make sure the connectors are in tight for the ignition coil, Camshaft Position Sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor.

PCM is getting power, all fuses are good in the distribution block(s). Do you happen to have a diagram that shows where the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor are?

Back