• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tuner/Tuning Feedback

Texican

CEG'er
I figure a good feedback thread Can be Made with the following Info

List Of Mods(3L/2.5/NA/Forced Induction/Bolt-ons)
What Type Of tuning(PCM Flash/Chip/Hand Held)
How it was tuned(Mail Order/Dyno Tuned)

And a Brief Recomendation of Either,(Happy/Could Have been Better/Never do that again)

If anyone wants to Modify My List please feel free to or Add anything to it. As I see a few of us have questions about tuning and are unsure which route to go Maybe those of you Tour Guru's and Long time Owners that have been thru this in the past help us Out and Just for Future References

Thanx

Anyone care to share? I am looking to get a tune asap since my tour is running rich

List Of Mods: full 3L, sri, msds headers, full 2.5 magnaflow exhaust, 24lb injectors, svt clutch and flywheel,
What Type Of tuning: you need the handheld to flash the ECU itself, so i used a livewire handheld and the tuner uses it to communicate to the ECU
How it was tuned: dyno tuned by Fast Specialties in Vancouver WA

my tune could have been better but it wasnt the tuners fault. i was on the dyno for hour and a half, maybe 2 hours at most. and i had to drive 5 hours home before a snowstorm hit. so i left right as it started snowing which was about 2 dours tuning max. if it was up to me id have it up there for at least another hour to get max power and smoother torque curve

EDIT: baseline hp was about 170. and final hp was 199. i also have a feeling their mustang dyno reads a little low.

List Of Mods (Full 3L/NA/ MSDS headers, BAT Y and cat, stock SVT catback)
What Type Of tuning (xcal)
How it was tuned (Dyno Tuned)

Dyno Dynamics - baseline was 170~ and end result was 195whp.

I had the car tuned at DB Performance in Rogers, MN and I would fully recommend them to anyone looking to tune a 3L swapped Contour. Car was dialed in very quickly, within two or three dyno pulls the tuner was able to pick up 30-40 hp in the midrange and about 20-30 for the top end. Tuning was cut short by a slipping clutch after 6-7 pulls, but by this time it was pretty much done. The tuner said we could squeeze a little more midrange out but the tune was solid. The car runs perfect, you would never know the 3L wasn't meant to be in the car. Good guys and a great place to dyno tune.

February 2006 dyno tuned by Travis at Fast Specialties in Vancouver WA. SVT 2.5L with xcal2, K&N 3530, SHO shop 63 mm TB, MSDS headers, SHO shop y pipe cat combo, 2.5" leading into some huge magnaflow resonator 2.5" exhaust leading back to new rear split to 2.25" to each of two Dynomax Turbo II mufflers. Lightened underdriven pullies, UR flywheel. Secondaries had been recently cleaned by hand by Shotwell. Tuned with hood open. Travis had all the time he needed, we got max 211.2 fwhp at about 7100 rpm on their mustang dyno, torque maxed at 175.5 ft lbs

February 2006 dyno tuned by Travis at Fast Specialties in Vancouver WA. SVT 2.5L with xcal2, K&N 3530, SHO shop 63 mm TB, MSDS headers, SHO shop y pipe cat combo, 2.5" leading into some huge magnaflow resonator 2.5" exhaust leading back to new rear split to 2.25" to each of two Dynomax Turbo II mufflers. Lightened underdriven pullies, UR flywheel. Secondaries had been recently cleaned by hand by Shotwell. Tuned with hood open. Travis had all the time he needed, we got max 211.2 fwhp at about 7100 rpm on their mustang dyno, torque maxed at 175.5 ft lbs

holy ••••. how did u get 211 hp out of a 2.5? how long did he tune it for? and also do you have ungraded rod bearings since your going past 7100rpm?

IIRC, several CEGers had our rev limiters raised far above 7000 rpm with stock bearings. It's been years, but maybe DemonSVT had posted about how our stock valve springs were good for all or most of 8000 rpm, he and perhaps others were doing upgrades to some stronger Mondeo ST 220 springs even while keeping stock bearings. I never upgraded my bearings, just synthetic oil and a DMD and kept the rpms low on curves, as all of my racing was done in a straight line. I don't know how many hours Travis spent playing/ experimenting/ learning my car, I let him keep going until he was pleased with his results and they did dyno work with the car over portions of two days. Then again, I recall there was a GT350R owner who brought his toy to Travis to tune before hauling it to races in Las Vegas.

well thats cool. idk if i can trust teh stock bearing above 7k tho, and not even sure if it will have power up there anyways. iv been wanting to go back to get it re-dyno tuned. i feel like im missing alot of power that can be there.

any chance you have a pic of you dyno sheet? i wanna see you a/f ratio

I'm not set with a scanner I can use, but send me a PM with a fax number?? The a/f ratio looks real flat on the finished result, a little low spot at 3400-3700 rpm maybe down to 12.3, otherwise always at or over 12.4 and a high of just under 13.0?

iirc the rev limiter wasnt set low bc of the rod bearings but bc of the accessories. i ran with my revlimiter to 7150 for several years back in the day.

Back