• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wire harness install

G

green SVT

Well I bought my car about a year ago knowing that it had the cracking wire problem. Well, I hoped that it would last until I could get another harness in there but I guess not. My IMRC wiring keeps touching so the car jumps really hard and sparks (not very funny when your head is about 2" away with the motor running.) So, my question is what do you think the estimate would be to get a harness installed. It looks like the main, all the intake, t.b., fan, IMRC wiring is shot so I think I would need almost everything. Another question is when I bought the car it came with all the harness included from another SVT. So how do I know if this GIGANTIC bundle of wires is for my SVT; part codes, etc. I can take pics tonght and upload. It doesnt look like I can do this myself, so I'm guessing the dealer is the only way to go.

..... My IMRC wiring keeps touching so the car jumps really hard and sparks (not very funny when your head is about 2" away with the motor running.) ...
If you can see the sparks, you know where it is touching. A cheap "temporary" solution would be to use "Liquid Tape" (liquid rubber) purchased from Home Depot or Lowes. It is similar to a touch up paint deal.

If the "new" harness has a code on it, post. Or check it yourself. 99M03 Customer Satisfaction Extended Warranty.
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/recall/99M03/

A V6 harness is going to be PRICEY! The Zetec w/o ABS is the cheapie at around $175 or so, but you're probably looking at $600 or more for the full harness.

Are you talking about buying the harness or installing? Because I already have the full harness

I was talking about purchase price. Never mind if you have yours already. I did the install myself on my Zetec. Not sure I'd really want to tackle a V6 harness replacement. I've heard stories of around $600 labor on those. But take that with a grain of salt...it is hearsay after all.

Install prices anyone?
The warranty hours were 10 but you can expect it to be closer to 20 if you are sending it in without the warranty. If you are looking at $100 per hour, it comes to $2,000 for the labor.

As several people have mentioned the TSB all I will add is read it and apply it to you car. If you got you replacement kit for $600 then you most likely don't have ABS, and with this problem that is really a good thing. Tony is right about the cost for a shop to do the work and unfortunately if you go that way, this is one of those times where a dealer is the best resource for it. (now I have to go wash out my mouth)

I too have THE problem, but fortunately I have a 95 /Z /auto / no ABS, so I am in the process of doing it myself. The parts were about $136 from Team Ford / Bill Jenkins (a CGer). I did the fan harness when it was in the shop having the tranny rebuilt, so that made up for any savings I got out of haveing the cheap electrical fix. But it sure made swapping out the fan easy ;)

Good Luck

The TSB gives the parts codes for each car / harness involved. Unfortunately it only goes to 97, so your SVT info won't be included even though some 98's did have the harness problem. I suggest you contact Bill Jenkins at Team Ford to answer you question about if the parts you have are the right ones.

Bill Jenkins
Internet Dept.
Team Ford
5445 Drexel Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89130
800-791-6436
www.TEAMFORDPARTS.com
bjenkins@teamfordlv.commy 2 cents

I'll have to do that...But I think I'm done with the car, I'm just selling it

No! I can't be the only CEGer rolling around in Cincinnati. Just to a temporary fix for now then come spring time I can help you swap out the old harness for the new.

Well you know I really love my SVT (except right now in the snow and ice), and there a few guys on cincystreetscene that want to buy it but I just cant get myself to sell it. Last night I went a "fixed" the IMRC wiring, so I guess I'll just hope it will last until spring. Right now I'm driving my cavalier anyways, so I'll probably take you up on your offer in spring. And of course we will work so payment out for helping me if your still up for it in a few months

Back