• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear clunking sound when going over bumps

ubnpast

CEG'er
I recently purchased a 96 6cyl mtx mystique, with 128k miles from the orignal owner.
It sounds only when going over bumps/dips, it is only on the rear pass. side. Kind of sounds like a seat belt locking up but it is not. Any sugestions, is this a common problem?

Check your rear subframe. The mounts that hold the sway bar up may be broken making the sway bar bounce up and down making a clunking noise. I have the same thing in my 99 SVT! I have all the parts to replace but I dont have time. Im also located in Jersey City just incase you need help!:cool:

Also a Simple weld can temporarily fix the issue and be fairly cheap. But this is temp so when you hit another big bump it might just break again! You might have to get a reinforced rear subframe and replace it as a permanent fix(or thats what i would do):shrug:! Ive had this sound for close to 4 months without it leading to any major issues yet. If this is the problem u dont have to worry about it but the sound does get annoying and im planning to change mine soon.

- Amyn

Last edited:
If your rear swaybar mounts are still intact check the upper strut mount. at one point i had the same noise, checked the subframe and it was fine so i started looking elsewhere. turns out the nut that holds the upper strut mount on had backed off slightly and allowed the strut to move making the noise.

Check your bar bushings, too. They could be shot. Easy, cheap fix, if that's the case, as are the endlinks that were already mentioned.

Well i looked for the upper strut mounting nut, is that inside or outside the car?
I cant seem to replicate the noise by jumping up and down in the trunk, also it doesnt seem to make any noise side to side.
By the way it sounds it seems like its in the trunk, but I cannot see any bushing or the top of the strut either.
Man fords really suck lol, such a PITA to work or do stuff on (such as the t-45 or what ever one it is, needed for the rear brakes)

Hey -- no knocking Fords. They've stood by me, and I stand by them. Yeah, the caliper bolts use a torx bolt -- want to say is a t-47, from memory, could be a little off, though. They're no big deal -- as long as you have a Torx bit. :cool:

Chances are you won't be able to replicate the sound by moving the car yourself (and the upper strut bolt is in the trunk, at the top of the strut tower). You may have to have the wife, girlfriend, or buddy drive the car while you sit in the trunk. One of the guys on here (bxd20) did that not too long ago with positive results, if memory serves. You'll need the weight of the car, not just your own strength, to help you locate the malfeasance.

Do you know what size the bolt is? I tried every size except for 18mm and over 17/18. Seems really tricky.

NO!

There are 2 nuts that hold the strut in. No nuts up on the tower in the trunk etc! The caps are already on when you put it in.

Yes and if that top nut comes loose for whatever reason it may make the clunking noise that is being heard. the easiest way to get to it without removing the strut is in the trunk.

Yes and if that top nut comes loose for whatever reason it may make the clunking noise that is being heard. the easiest way to get to it without removing the strut is in the trunk.

wow, that would be the last thing lose in the rear.

Go look at the sway bar and end links of the rear suspension. Check the rear tire also and make sure its tighten down.

im not saying its the first thing you should check but if after checking everything else you still cant find whats causing the noise then you should definitely check the upper strut mount nut. its not very common but it would make noise if it did come loose.

I had the same problem, took me 2 years to finally fix it. I'll summarize the things you should check. Do a search for more info on each issue.

1. Parking brake cable (rubber bushing that surrounds it). The tend to squeak as they get older and more brittle. Try lubing them.
2. Rear sub frame.
3. Sway bar bushings- either worn out or need lube.
4. Sway bar brackets. I'm talking about the U-shaped brackets that connect the sway bar to the sub frame. The bushing sits in between this bracket and the sway bar. Mine were twisted. I replaced them, and this fixed all my problems, believe it or not! The brackets weren't cheap though, stock ford part made in Germany, Oh...the good ol' days :)

I had my sub frame removed and reinforced by welding. I replaced my bushings 2 times, lubed them every oil change, lubed my brake cable, and finally changed the brackets and that is what fixed it, the brackets.

I have the same knock. While my car was in for inspection today, the mechanic looked for the cause of the knock and thinks my strut is going. He thinks the strut is bottoming out, and a part of the strut is hitting another component. Could be, but it sounds more like the knocking sound of a loose metal component that is suddenly shifting. Since I've had the knock since I bought the car three years ago, I'd think the strut would have completely failed by now if the strut itself was the problem.

Last edited:
I have the same knock. While my car was in for inspection today, the mechanic looked for the cause of the knock and thinks my strut is going. He thinks the strut is bottoming out, and a part of the strut is hitting another component. Could be, but it sounds more like the knocking sound of a loose metal component that is suddenly shifting. Since I've had the knock since I bought the car three years ago, I'd think the strut would have completely failed by now if the strut itself was the problem.

IDK, car rides soft, struts dont really bounce at all they level out. Sounds like the seat belt in the rear is locking up (as if I am slamming on the brakes)

Back