• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Coil on plug question

Cody4130

CEG'er
I'm doing a hybrid swap and would like to use the COP off my 06 escape 3L first can anyone post up a wiring diagram? Or does anyone make a plug and play harness?
Second will the coil on plug system mount/seat properly with the stock SVT 2.5L valve covers?

if you search around you will find a wiring diagram that was posted.

and no the cop will not mount to the stock 2.5L valve covers. if you want to use COP with the stock intake you need valve covers from a 01 3L. the later valve cover will not clear the stock intake.

Cool thanks for the info. I tried searching but it wasn't cooperating typed in "coil on plug diagram" I'll try again with some different keywords.

That's what I was looking for thanks!
So is the consensus this is basically an aesthetic mod with a chance of higher rpm misfire and interferance and COP in our application produces less spark energy than the stock coil and wires?

That's what I was looking for thanks!
So is the consensus this is basically an aesthetic mod with a chance of higher rpm misfire and interferance and COP in our application produces less spark energy than the stock coil and wires?
I dont like that wiring diagram for the COP setup. the OP states that our coil packs have 6 coils in them and that the pairs are wired in series. this is not correct. there is actually only 3 coils, and each coil fires 2 cylinders. as such, they are not series or parallel, just 3 separate coils.

this website shows a good picture of how the Ford coil pack is designed and its basic wiring.

http://rockledge.home.comcast.net/~rockledge/RangerPictureGallery/DIS_EDIS.htm

ill include the picture separately but you should read through the site.
WasteSparkDiagram.gif

yeah i guess ford got it wrong when they put them on there from the factory. my bad jsut seen you said on contours. But either way I havent seen a difference in mine

yeah i guess ford got it wrong when they put them on there from the factory. my bad jsut seen you said on contours. But either way I havent seen a difference in mine

Yes, I did say on Contours. I am not against COP as it was factored into the design of new Ford vehicles and such. I actually think it is pretty neat in a car that it was engineered for from the start. There is ALOT more that goes into this than just slapping some wires together from a Contour and Taurus and sending it off to the PCM. I'll try to do a little write up in the near future about swapping COP in a Contour, and how it should be done correctly if someone really wants it. We're talking some serious work though.

The proper way would be to use a taurus PCM in the contour and re-pin it accordingly. In the Taurus each COP has its own signal wire. The PCM has full control of each COP where as the Contour only has 3 signal leads to fire 6 cylinders, hence the waste-fire ignition system.

Or if the Contour PCM had the appropriate hardware you may be able to add 3 wires to the harness and have a tune that would turn on the additional 3 outputs. I need to look into this option still...

So, after reading this thread and the previous COP thread more times than I would like to admit, I have concluded that it should be safe to attempt to wire the coils in parellel.

Here's my reasoning, and correct me if I'm wrong please. The main concern with this is that because you are firing two individual coils simultaneously the power draw would fry the PCM. The PCM doesn't provide power for the coil-pack, it comes from a fused source in the distribution box, if it's too much power you will pop the fuse. All the PCM sends is a signal to fire the coil.

My question is, does the PCM receive some kind of feedback from the coil/coil-pack when it fires?

I am just making sure I have as much information as possible before I do this conversion. I see potential issues running the system in series, or in parallel. I don't foresee an improvement large enough to warrant modification of the PCM, a wiring upgrade is about the extent of work I see being worthwhile with this mod. Afterall it really is mostly aesthetic.

Dude it's not a big deal. Do it. I done it. Tons of other people have done it an been driving on it over a year and dynotuned with it with no adverse effects.

I may be overthinking the topic but, it's my ONLY cars ignition system, I think it deserves to be overthought. In all likelihood I'll convert anyway, I just think the system would be better if wired in parallel.

If you ask me its like over thinking a 3L swap if its going to work or not even tho theres 100's of people who have done it and documented proof it fits/works....:eek:. If its you dont feel competent enough to do something like that then dont do it other wise follow the directions cause thats how everyone who has done it on CEG has done it. Dom on FCO says he does his another way but idk

There is ALOT more that goes into this than just slapping some wires together from a Contour and Taurus and sending it off to the PCM.
I gotta say I disagree. There is no reason for it to be more than some rewiring, unless you're trying to convert it away from a waste-spark system. Such a conversion attempt would totally vindicate what you're saying, so maybe that's your angle. Either way, I would like to read your dissertation when it's done. :cool:

I gotta say I disagree. There is no reason for it to be more than some rewiring, unless you're trying to convert it away from a waste-spark system. Such a conversion attempt would totally vindicate what you're saying, so maybe that's your angle. Either way, I would like to read your dissertation when it's done. :cool:

I would agree with you. As I plan to use COP on my 3L swap. As long as you have no problem with maintaining the waste spark system, then there is no issues. If you tried to bring the COP ignition system over in its entirety then you have the issues of not having the proper ECM to control the individual coils as has been stated earlier.

So, after reading this thread and the previous COP thread more times than I would like to admit, I have concluded that it should be safe to attempt to wire the coils in parellel.

Here's my reasoning, and correct me if I'm wrong please. The main concern with this is that because you are firing two individual coils simultaneously the power draw would fry the PCM. The PCM doesn't provide power for the coil-pack, it comes from a fused source in the distribution box, if it's too much power you will pop the fuse. All the PCM sends is a signal to fire the coil.

My question is, does the PCM receive some kind of feedback from the coil/coil-pack when it fires?

I am just making sure I have as much information as possible before I do this conversion. I see potential issues running the system in series, or in parallel. I don't foresee an improvement large enough to warrant modification of the PCM, a wiring upgrade is about the extent of work I see being worthwhile with this mod. Afterall it really is mostly aesthetic.

you are over simplifying it and are off base here. Using a COP module in a waste spark system is not ideal. If you wire it in series, as others have done, it will work and you most likely will experience no problems. The issue with this is that in series you are cutting the voltage to each COP module. In addition, you are messing with the dwell time. I dont know the specifics of each system, but think of it this way, on a system designed for COP, you have 6 injector drivers in the ECU, each one controlling a COP. Each coil on plug requires a specific voltage and a specific dwell. If you wire 2 COP in series for one driver, you are cutting the voltage, and since you are firing one in waste spark, you may not have the appropriate dwell time. The bottom line, though, is that I have not been able to find any of the specifics for either system, there really is no way to accurate determine how much you have cut your spark output, but I can assure you that you have.

You can try wiring them in parallel, but I think you will be looking for a new ECU. Once again, you are missing the point here. It is not power draw you are worried about, it is current flow. It is a simple OHM's law equation. Wiring them in Parallel will cut the resistance in half, which will double the current flow. Yes, you are correct that the coil has voltage source in fuse box, but it is being grounded by the PCM, the current still will flow through the drivers and burn them out. Think of it this way, the fuse for the ignition system is ONE fuse for the entire system, you are only firing 2 Cylinders at a time, you can have enough current to fry a driver without popping a fuse.

Back