• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake manifold runner control stuck open?

I pulled my codes and got "intake manifold runner control stuck open"
Now I'm not sure what this means?...does it effect the overall performance any, best way to fix it, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, josh

The imrc is designed to open the secondary intake ports at around 3200 rpm, allowing more air into the system for greater power at higher rpms. At lower rpms (everyday driving), the imrc is supposed to keep the secondaries closed for greater torque and economy. Have you ever floored it at low rpms and noticed that at 3200-3400rpms, your intake gets delightfully louder? :laugh:

If the imrc is indeed keeping the secondaries open, you are losing low end performance and efficiency.

The imrc box is located under the plastic "2.5 liter duratec" cover on the front of the engine. Pull the plastic cover off and observe the imrc and the cable extending from it----------out to the bottom of the intake.

You should see that it is able to pull on a couple of levers, connected to a large spring, that open and close the secondaries. Have a friend rev the engine to 4000rpms while observing these levers. You should see some action. If not, make sure the levers are properly attached (the rod popped of one of the levers once on my contour).
Or perhaps the imrc has failed, which is not uncommon. You can usually pick one up on here on the forums for a decent price. It's a pretty easy inspection.

Yea I have noticed in between 3 and 4 thousand my cars gets twice as loud and I am pretty sure my car is dogging a little but until then and then you can feel it kick right around 3 to 4 grand

Thanks, josh

If the cables are just disconnected can I just reconnect them or do I have to buy a new part?

And it is the silver box under the plastic cover?

-thanks

well i looked at it and the cable is still connected, but the spring piece it is connected to itself seems to be stuck i was just trying to follow the wire to see where it went and accidently pulled it and now the spring piece is stuck in the other dirrection so im assuming closed?

iirc the closed possition is with the arms on the secondary linkage pointing towards the radiator. when they open the linkage is pulled towards the firewall.

either the imrc itself is bad or you need to adjust the bracket holding the cable on the LIM. there is a good thread about this in this forum.

thanks for the held guys my i replaced the imrc and now it runs perfect talk about missing low end power it almost feels like a different car now

Back