• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lake Express Ticket Prices & Schedule(sign up here)

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
Ferry List<--hehe
1.Joe Barnes & Arielle Kuehl (to SZ only)

This might have been posted, but here is the info for the ferry: http://www.lake-express.com

If we want to do this, I am sure we will have to reserve this month for sure. Let's get a list started for who wants to do this and write if you are going one way(there or back) or round trip. Read up on the times for dates from April 29th-October 1st and we will have to agree on a time also.

The 2007 sailing season will begin in mid-April with reservations available in February 2007. Fare and schedule updates will be posted soon.

Category One Way Round Trip
Adult $55 $95
Seniors (66+) $55 $85
Child (5-17) $30 $50
Infant (0-4)* FREE FREE
Premier Class $70 $130

Vehicle $65 $130
Trailer - up to 8' $65 $130
Trailer - over to 8' See below See below
Motorcycle $40 $70
w/ sidecar or trailer $55 $100
Bicycle $10 $20
Pet Kennel $7.50 $15

Fares are also subject to a $6.00 fuel surcharge per crossing.
This fuel surcharge applies to each passenger and vehicle per crossing. Fuel surcharge is not added to infant fares, pet kennels or bicycles.
Please note that vehicle fares do not include the driver or any riders.

Passengers traveling with children under 5 years of age for whom a fare has not been paid may be required to seat the child on the passenger's lap during the voyage.

Vehicles: Max height is 8 feet 6 inches. Max total width is 8 feet.

Towed Trailers - Max height is 8 feet 6 inches. Max total width is 8 feet as measured at the widest point of the trailer and/or its cargo.
Each additional foot length over 8 feet is $5.00 per foot.

Change Fee:
Date or time changes are subject to a $10.00 fee per person covered by the reservation.

Cancellation Fees:
Reservations cancelled up to 72 hours prior to the sailing date receive a refund minus a cancellation fee equal to 15% of the entire reservation amount (minimum fee = $10) or the customer may rebook paying the applicable change fee.
Reservations cancelled within 72 hours of the sailing date are not refundable. The customer may rebook paying the applicable change fee.

No Show:
If a customer fails to show up for the scheduled voyage and does not contact the Lake Express terminal ahead of time to cancel or rebook, the customer forfeits 100% of the reservation amount.

yes we do. I think it is just for 20 people, so two people per car, we could have 10 tours and get the discount.

bumping an old thread (SORRY!!!), Im curious to see how you guys liked taking the ferry. I have been thinking of doing this for the trip up to WI.

I looked on their website, I dont see any prices up yet for 2010. It does seem kind of expensive, but its probably one of those once in a lifetime things so I wouldnt really mind spending the money....

so what was your trip like? was it worth the money? how is the ramp to get the car on the boat? Can a lowered CSVT with Mirko SAFELY get on and off the boat? Did this save you guys any time versus driving around the lake?

thanks

if enough interest is shown Ill start a seperate thread and check into group rates if more people are interested.

We did get to take the ferry to SZ MI but not home. The wake was too high to transport cars safely so we ended up driving all the way around.

Worth the money, not really but it was an exciting trip and a lot of fun with the other SZ'rs. We did get a discount because we had 10 transactions (people and cars) so it was a bit cheaper.

There was a enter and exit bump that I couldn't have made with my mirko on. I took it off for that. No wierd ramps or scary places for lowered cars.

Saved about 1/2 the time, I think.

Here is what we paid:

Lake Express gave me a total for everything and I emailed them back telling them to break it down per person and per car. She broke it down and the totals are below.
MONEY HAS TO BE TO ME VIA CHECK OR PAYPAL BY APRIL 17TH
If you decide to paypal the money to me, you must add 3% to cover paypal's fee.
THIS IS THE PRICES AND COSTS FOR EVERYONE
- Quote from Kay Collins
"Rates listed on the 2006 card did not include the $12 per person and $12 per vehicle roundtrip fuel surcharge. This year we included the fuel surcharge into the rates. 2007 rates are as follows:
$112 roundtrip per person
$147 roundtrip per vehicle
You are saving $27 per person and $47 per car = over 30%.
Your price is:
$85 roundtrip per person
$100 roundrip per vehicle"

paypal to: blu_fuz@yahoo.com
FINAL PRICES LISTED BELOW
($270.00)1 car - Josh Pietenpol & Jess Darling (round trip) 3 plus 3 back Paid in full. Thanks Josh.
($270.00)1 car - Kyle Blindauer & Amanda Fredricks (round trip) 3 plus 3 back Paid in full. Thanks Kyle.
($270.00)1 car - Christina Conter & Wayne Wallace (round trip) 3 plus 3 back Paid in full. Thanks Christina.
($185.00)1 car - Mike Laskonis (round trip) 2 plus 2 back Paid in full. Thanks Mike.
($96.00) 1 car - LaMonte D. Wilder (to SZ only) 2 Paid in full. Thanks LaMonte.
($185.00)1 car - Michael Danicich (round trip) 2 plus 2 back Paid in full. Thanks Mike.
($185.00)1 car - Mark Lukosaitis (round trip) 2 plus 2 back Paid in full. Thanks Mark.

May 17th (thursday)
Departure - 6:00 AM CT @ Milwaukee, Lake Express Dock
- 8 cars, 12 people
Arrival - 9:30 AM ET @ Muskegon, Lake Express Dock

May 20th (sunday)
Departure - 4:45 PM ET @ Muskegon, Lake Express Dock
- 7 cars, 11 people
Arrival - 6:15 PM CT @ Milwaukee, Lake Express Dock

Contact information:
Kay Collins: 414-727-7792 (Lake Express Rep.)

Thanks for the info Joe, saving half the time would be nice. I would probably only take the ferry there and then drive home on the way back. I would rather drive through Chicago on a Sunday afternoon than during the weekly morning commute....it would probably be worth the money just to avoid that

I agree with Joe. I don't know how much prices have changed in three years, but it was cheaper to drive around. However, the ability to goof off for a few hours with friends coupled with the time saved made up for some of the price difference. If you have a I-Pass/EZPass/etc you will save even more money driving than we did having to drive through Chicago as the tolls should be 1/2 the price. Something else to consider. Plus some people really just hate driving through the city which may make the extra cost worth it.

If I go to SZ this year, Ill take the ferry over there, id rather have the piece of mind with that Spec 3+ rather than being stuck or broke down in Chicago.
Anyone else planning on taking the ferry over there? I dont wanna be the only drunk with a tour on the ship.
For those that took the ferry though, it says on their site that the cars will be loaded and unloaded by them, is this true? I dont want some amateur driving my car.

If I go to SZ this year, Ill take the ferry over there, id rather have the piece of mind with that Spec 3+ rather than being stuck or broke down in Chicago.
Anyone else planning on taking the ferry over there? I dont wanna be the only drunk with a tour on the ship.
For those that took the ferry though, it says on their site that the cars will be loaded and unloaded by them, is this true? I dont want some amateur driving my car.

Im still undecided if I want to take the ferry, I can fly there and back for pretty much the same price as a 1 way ferry ride....

But your car wont be there :) Id rather just take my car on the ferry and drive the 1.5 hours to SZ on the HWY.

We actually got to drive our cars in and out of the ferry, policy might have changed since then.... dunno. It is fun to do and you will probably only do it once transporting a car.

I thought the $185 round trip for one person and one car was pretty good. I wouldn't spend much more than $200 for it.

Add up the time you drive around Lake Michigan, figure the fuel there and back, possible meals, wear and tear on the lowered cars driving through chicago(horrible roads in Ill, IMO), tolls (prob $20 round trip), etc. it is kinda worth it because you would really only be spending about $50 more to go on the ferry if you are by yourself.

I had a bad wheel bearing that was going to eventually eat up my drivers front tire if I drove on it too long. Needless to say, the canceled return trip was enough distance to make that tire camber bald :nonono:.

So the concern with Chicago is both traffic and road surface?
I've never driven through.

Is there a time of day when the traffic isn't so bad?

There might be a help forum out there to describe the traffic patterns of Chicago and the best times to drive through. The best is at 1-4am any day :laugh:, seriously.

The roads might not be as bad as I remember but I know there were more than a handful of times where my body cringed at a hole I just hit or a place I just scraped with EGPLNT. Put it this way, if I can make it through chicago with EGPLNT and the trailer from MI anyone can! It just is a stressfull drive and they make you pay to go through it!

There might be a help forum out there to describe the traffic patterns of Chicago and the best times to drive through. The best is at 1-4am any day :laugh:, seriously.

The roads might not be as bad as I remember but I know there were more than a handful of times where my body cringed at a hole I just hit or a place I just scraped with EGPLNT. Put it this way, if I can make it through chicago with EGPLNT and the trailer from MI anyone can! It just is a stressfull drive and they make you pay to go through it!

Since then, quite a bit of the construction has been completed/improved with more lanes open. I don't foresee it being nearly like it was 2 or even 1 year ago.

kings.jpg

Is there a time of day when the traffic isn't so bad?

Chicago is the only city I've ever been in that has traffic reports on the radio 24 hours a day. Having said that, if you stick to I294 and avoid I94 you should not see any really bad traffic outside of rush hour times. Construction can be the biggest problem of which there's always some in Chicagoland, so plan accordingly.

I294 loops around the city and will add about 15 minutes to the trip, which is a lot better than an extra hour or two if you get stuck downtown. Most GPS units will automatically send you on I94, so you may need to rely on good ole' fashioned maps when you reach the Gary IN area.

As we get closer to SZ I will try to get much more detailed info posted.

I love that picture :laugh:.

Josh - Mark - Me

It was a great pic! Who cares about the traffic, the roads, other drivers, blah blah blah? Just take the lake express to have a different experience. You dont take your car on a ferry everyday. It is a beautiful, relaxing, and really fun way to finish up your trip to SZ.

Back