• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SZ10 Potential road courses

hetfield

or hetfeild
How far would you be willing to drive to race on a road course, and how much would you be willing to pay? Right now the single biggest holdup in getting an agenda together for SZ is where we would race, or if we would race at all. It turns out getting a track reserved is a bigger challenge than I anticipated due to certain political issues in the area and I don't want to commit to something else unless I know I'll have the support of attendees.

Please let me know the distance you would be willing to drive to get to a track in terms of time (i.e. 'no more than one hour'). If you are certain you wouldn't race your car please let me know about that, too.

i'm in for '2010 let me know what track and payment info when it comes about. i wanna be wellll prepared for it next year. willing to drive up to 2 hours for the road course.

if I come out from cali again I'd most likely be willing to travel out of the way for a track day. not to mention I'd be trolling with the fusion again. my contour is a magnet for idiot drivers and is yet again driveway designated until I get the time and money together to fix it. but I am very interested in bringing the fusion out with the S/C up and running right. This is all in hopes that another tornado doesn't blow me off the road like after sz08:blackeye:

How about AutoX? :shrug:

I'm open to it, but believe it or not it will probably be harder to get an auto-x session going than to get a track for a day. The only place I know of in the area that does auto-x is Miller Park, and since May is baseball season I won't know what the availability is for the parking lot until the 2010 schedule is released.

I don't mind driving an hour to spectate a race and probably pay $10-15 to do so.
(we most likely won't have our cars with us to race at SZ)

I think if would be great if a full track day could be setup. One that had a instructor led portion at the beginning for us newbies. I know a guy locally that I can talk to and see if he'd be willing to set something up in WI. As he has done events in MN and a few in Iowa as well... don't see any reason why WI would be to far out of the way. Let me know what you guys think. I'd be willing to help it get setup.

We had a full day at Waterford Hills in '08, along with some instruction for newbies. Feedback from the first-timers was favorable.

I think if would be great if a full track day could be setup. One that had a instructor led portion at the beginning for us newbies. I know a guy locally that I can talk to and see if he'd be willing to set something up in WI. As he has done events in MN and a few in Iowa as well... don't see any reason why WI would be to far out of the way. Let me know what you guys think. I'd be willing to help it get setup.

CJ and I have been discussing the possibility of getting the Bondurant cars back together for a reunion of sorts, and with Frank (CSVTFGM) now in the mix, we could get all the surviving Bondurant Contours together for the first time outside of the confines of the school, and maybe he would be nice enough to bring the Saleen as well (hint-hint).

What's better is that with our cars' previous roles as instructor cars, maybe they could see duty as such again at a track day for SZ, giving novice racers a view of the proper racing line from an instructor.

CJ and Frank, any comments? Personally, Road America would be great, but the cost wouldn't be feasible. Black Hawk Farms could be an option, though. If SZ coincides with another club's event, then the costs could be more reasonable than renting a track outright.

CJ and I have been discussing the possibility of getting the Bondurant cars back together for a reunion of sorts, and with Frank (CSVTFGM) now in the mix, we could get all the surviving Bondurant Contours together for the first time outside of the confines of the school, and maybe he would be nice enough to bring the Saleen as well (hint-hint).

What's better is that with our cars' previous roles as instructor cars, maybe they could see duty as such again at a track day for SZ, giving novice racers a view of the proper racing line from an instructor.

CJ and Frank, any comments? Personally, Road America would be great, but the cost wouldn't be feasible. Black Hawk Farms could be an option, though. If SZ coincides with another club's event, then the costs could be more reasonable than renting a track outright.
Just seeing THIS would make my trip worthwhile!

IDK how "track worthy" anything I might drive would be, but I am game for spectating and distance is no biggie.

John, I love the idea. It would be great to get them all together (makes me wonder if SVTOA would help market a track day if we needed more people). I'm not very familiar with the courses over there but I'm game for whatever.

Still kind of nervous to put the high mile CSVT on the track, but I'd drive wherever with the CTS-V for the track.

Not sure about the dates you are looking at, but here is what the other clubs have going on:

January

Jan 23-24th: Firebird International Raceway, 24 Hours of LeMons

February

Feb 6-7Th: Carolina Motorsports Park, 24 Hours of LeMons

Feb 12-14th: Carolina Motorsports Park, NASA-SE

Feb 20-21st: MSR Houston, 24 Hours of LeMons

March

Mar 6-7th: Infineon Raceway, 24 Hours of LeMons

Mar 12-14th: Road Atlanta, NASA-SE

April

Apr 3-4th: Gingerman Raceway "Open Track", $150/1 day $250/2 day

Apr 10th: Gingerman Raceway, 3 Balls Racing

Apr 10-11th: Mid-Ohio, NASA Great Lakes

Apr 10-11th: Putnam Park, MVP Track Time

Apr 17-18th: Gateway, NASA-MW

Apr 17-18th: Reno-Fernley Raceway, 24 Hours of LeMons

Apr 19th: Charlotte Motor Speedway, NASA-SE

Apr 21-22: Gingerman Raceway, Evening Test and Tune, $60 per driver

May

May 1-2nd: Carolina Motorsports Park, NASA-SE

May 1-2nd: Autobahn Country Club, Windy City BMW

May 1-2nd: The Circuit at Grand Bayou, 24 Hours of LeMons

May 5-6th: Gingerman Raceway, Evening Test and Tune

May 8-9th: Reno-Fernley Raceway, 24 Hours of LeMons

May 12-13th: Gingerman Raceway, Evening Test and Tune

May 15-16th: Putnam Park (Crossover), NASA-MW/ NASA Great Lakes

May 19-20th: Gingerman Raceway, Evening Test and Tune

May 26-27th: Gingerman Raceway, Evening Test and Tune

June

Jun 2-3rd: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Jun 5-6th: Eagles Canyon Raceway, 24 Hours of LeMons

Jun 7th: Autobahn Country Club, MVP Track Time

Jun 9-10th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Jun 12-13th: Blackhawk Farms, NASA-MW

Jun 16-17th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Jun 18-20th: Road Atlanta, NASA-SE

Jun 19-20th: Summit Point Motorsports Park, 24 Hours of LeMons

Jun 23-24th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Jun 26-27th: Grattan, NASA Great Lakes

June 26-27th: Gingerman Raceway, Windy City BMW

Jun 30th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

July

Jul 1st: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Jul 2: Charlotte Motor Speedway, NASA-SE

Jul 2-4th: Gingerman Raceway, SEM Porsche Club of America

Jul 7-8th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Jul 9th: Gingerman Raceway, SCCA Open Track

Jul 10-11th: Gingerman Raceway, SCCA SBR

Jul 10-11th: High Plains Raceway, 24 Hours of LeMons

Jul 14-15th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Jul 17-18th: Autobahn Country Club, NASA-MW

Jul 21-22nd: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Jul 24-25th: Mid-Ohio, NASA Great Lakes

Jul 24-25th: Stafford Motor Speedway, 24 Hours of LeMons

Jul 28-29th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

August

Aug 4-5th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Aug 6-8th: Road Atlanta, NASA-SE

Aug 7-8th: Thunderhill Raceway Park, 24 Hours of LeMons

Aug 9th: Autobahn Country Club, MVP Track Time

Aug 11-12th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Aug 14-15th: Mid-Ohio, NASA Great Lakes

Aug 18-19th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Aug 21-22nd: Gingerman Raceway, NASA-MW

Aug 25-26th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Aug 28-29th: Calabogie Motorsports Park, Three Balls Racing

Aug 28-29th: Mid-American Motorplex, 24 Hours of LeMons

September

Sept 1-2nd: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Sept 8-9th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Sept 11-12th: Autobahn Country Club (Crossover), NASA-MW/ NASA Great Lakes

Sept 11-12th: MSR Houston, 24 Hours of LeMons

Sept 15-16th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Sept 16-19th: NASA Championship

Sept 22-23rd: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Sept 25-26th: Putnam Park, Windy City BMW

Sept 25-26th: Carolina Motorsports Park, 24 Hours of LeMons

Sept 29-30th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

October

Oct 6-7th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Oct 9-10th: Putnam Park (Crossover), NASA-MW/ NASA Great Lakes

Oct 9-10th: Gingerman Raceway, 24 Hours of LeMons

Oct 13-14th: Gingerman Raceway, Test and Tune

Oct 15-17th: Atlanta(AMP), NASA-SE

Oct 23-24th: Autobahn Country Club, 24 Hours of LeMons

November

Nov 5-7th: Carolina Motorsports Park, NASA-SE

Nov 20-21st: The Circuit at Grand Bayou, 24 Hours of LeMons

Nov 20-21st: Road Atlanta, MVP Track Time

December

Dec 3-5th: Road Atlanta, NASA-SE

Dec 4-5th: Buttonwillow Raceway Park,

Dec 30-31st: Palm Beach International Raceway, 24 Hours of LeMons

I'm liking August 28-29 mention simply for the location: Mid America Motorplex is practically in my backyard as far as regional tracks go, plus it was designed by Gingerman Raceway's designer. MAM is great, but painfully flat, so I still prefer Gingerman. Sitting on Gingerman's hill and being able to see the entire track is a beautiful thing - especially when they were running Viper-Ferrari Wars.

CJ, I don't know anyone in SVTOA, although I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I'm not a member. If you want to start digging around for interest on that end, that would be great. I think SVTOA's involvement for a track day would be beneficial, especially for overall turnout. Since Frank is in SVTOA, maybe he would have some valuable input with that idea. I do have some connections with the Mustang Club of Central Iowa and the Northwoods Shelby Club, so I'll see what I can dig up.

Gingerman is 4+ hours away. The most Feasable tracks are:

1. Blawkhawk Farms (1+hour)....Alright track decent prices.
  2. Autobahn Country Club (2 hours)...EXTREMELY fun track but $$$.
  3. Road America (1 hour)....Great track, but good luck getting it
I've been on all three and they would all be fun in a Contour. Autobahn would probably be best due to the great number of turns and the huge straight.

Back